|Summer is here and many of us are thinking about how we can keep our kids safe in the sun.
The first line of defense for most parents is to grab the sunscreen and make sure the kids are properly covered. But who wants to slather on a cream that contains potentially dangerous chemicals?
That’s where natural sunscreens come into play. Using safe ingredients, many lotions, creams and sticks provide excellent UV protection while minimizing chemical exposure.
Below is a list of just some of the great, natural sunscreens that were included in The Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) annual Safe Sunscreen Guide. We have only chosen sunscreens that had very low or low toxin ratings, and that had good or excellent protection as defined by the guide. Many of these products can be found locally and we have provided a link to where they can be found online as well.
Of course, sunscreen is not the complete answer when it comes to protecting yourself and your kids this summer. EWG warns that we must be cautious and use other lines of defense when possible.
You can access their informative articles 9 Surprising Facts About Sunscreen and Top Sun Safety Tips for more information about how to best use sunscreens and how to include other methods of sun protection in your routine.
||Tips for Sun Safety
- Wear Protective Clothing: choose clothing made from natural fibers with a tight weave and a loose fit
- Use a Sun Hat: sun hats are perfect for parents, babies and kids of any age
- Avoid Afternoon Sun: when possible avoid too much sun exposure in the hottest parts of the day–even if the weather is not hot, the sun can still cause damage
- Stay Hydrated: always keep a bottle of water handy to sip on when out and about
- Keep Babies Covered: babies and very small kids can be particularly susceptible to the sun, keep them shaded whenever possible