Thank you to Mothering member Cathlin for sharing this recipe.
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 carrots, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c water
- 1 c couscous
- 2 c coarsely shredded chicken
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 c sliced almonds
- 1/3 c dried dates or raisins
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro
1) Bring stock and water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon, the ginger, salt and pepper. Add the carrots and cook until just tender, approximately 6 minutes. Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking liquid.
2) Place the couscous and chicken in a medium bowl; pour the hot cooking liquid on top. Stir and cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit 5 minutes.
3) Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet, medium heat. Add the almonds, currants, scallions and 1/4 tsp cinnamon and cook, stirring, until the almonds are toasted. Stir in the cilantro.
4) Fluff the couscous and chicken with a fork, then divide among 4 bowls. Top with the carrots and sprinkle with the almond mixture.