I’ve always said that I’m not a good crafty mom. I’ll take my kids on a hike, a bike ride, or swimming all day long, but when it comes to creative indoor ideas, I’m definitely lacking. Recently however, my kids and I have been having a ton of fun making our own body care products that we all use and love! They get to help create something from start to finish, taking pride in the fact that what they make is equal to anything that they can buy from the store – a confidence boost in that lesson for sure! And together, we’ve bonded indoors and have found a craft that we all enjoy.
Below is one of our favorite and most simple recipes. The ingredients are all easy to come by, and you can make a big batch with a group of kids, or a small one for just your own.
Strawberry Lip Balm
- 3 teaspoons almond, coconut, or olive oil
- 4 teaspoons castor oil
- 2 teaspoons freeze-dried strawberries, crushed into a powder
- 2 teaspoons beeswax
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 capsule vitamin E oil
- In a double boiler over medium heat warm the oils and strawberries for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the oil to remove any strawberry bits
- Pour oil back into saucepan and add in the beeswax and honey, warming over low heat until melted, stirring occasionally
- Remove from heat and add the vitamin E.
- Let cool slightly and fill the container of choice. We used 1/2 oz tins, but you can also use small glass jars, or empty lip balm tubes.
- Allow the balm to cool and harden, then use and enjoy! To speed the cooling process, you can place the balms in the refrigerator.
Makes 1.5 ounces
About Amy Paolinelli
Amy is a mom of 3 lively kiddos, a wife, and an advocate for natural living. Prior to having children, she worked as a Marriage and Family Therapist with high-risk youth. After having her first daughter, she found her passion in pregnancy, childbirth, babies, and natural living. She is now an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant in private practice, a student of Herbal Medicine for Women, and cofounder of 3Girls Holistic – a truly pure herbal skin care line. She loves getting her hands dirty in the garden and spending time near the water. You can find more of her writings at www.3girlsholistic.com