Social groups are a new feature that allows forum members to create “clubs” to discuss topics of shared interest. This feature will allow forum members with similar interests to have a place to gather and share information, banter away, or to find other forum members in the same geographical area.
Starting a New Groups
How to Use Groups
After you’ve joined one or more Groups, they’ll show up in a box on your profile page. When you tag Groups, they can be promoted as “Related Groups” in relevant areas of the site in the same way that Related Forum Threads and Related Articles now appear in the right column of various pages.
There are two types of Social Groups:
- Open membership: anyone may join by clicking the “Join” button.
- Membership by approval: clicking the join button initiates a PM requesting membership that will be sent to the Group Lead for approval.
Group Leaders are the members in charge; the member who creates a Group is the first Lead, but that person may appoint additional Group Leaders.
What can a Group Leader do?
- Receive join requests (for membership-by-approval groups) and approve/deny them.
- Edit the Group description and change the thumbnail image.
- Ban a member, making it impossible for that member to re-join.
- Remove images from the shared gallery.
- Send a PM to all members at once.
- Promote other members to Group Leader (there can be more than one leader in the same Group).
- Demote him/herself to a regular Group member.
What can’t a Group Leader do?
- Change the name of the Group
- Demote another Leader back to a regular member (this must be done by the member or an MDC Administrator).
- Act as a moderator within the Group forum (e.g., delete/edit others’ posts and threads, etc.).
Leaders can’t demote each other, but they may demote themselves.
Social Groups Rules
Our rules for the groups are the same as the rest of the site. Act with respect towards fellow forum members and you won’t have any issues. Remember, your posts are public and are visible to fellow members. Group members should not place posts to discuss other members or other forum or group threads.
In the interests of refining these rules, the following types of groups will not be permitted:
- Hate groups
- Duplicate groups (especially when they’re done so you can become a Leader)
- Spam, advertising, or other such groups (It’s okay to create a group like “Earth Mama Angel Baby Lovers” so long as you’re not an Earth Mama Angel Baby employee).