Cloth diapering is as easy as can be! If you attend a Great Cloth Diaper Change event on April 21, you will have lots of experienced parents available to help you out. In the meantime, here are some easy steps to follow for you to be able to successfully cloth diaper.
1. Find a diaper that works for you. The same diaper that works for your best friend might not be a cloth diaper that works for you and your child! If you are just starting out, I HIGHLY recommend getting a few different kinds of cloth diapers to try out before you commit to one kind. Many different shops have a “buy back” program if you buy sample packs. Look for one of those!
2. Prep your new diapers.
This can be as easy as one wash (microfiber inserts, used diapers) or up to 10 washes (hemp inserts) to get them absorbent. Just follow the manufactures instructions on how to prep your diapers.
3. Stuff your diaper. If you are using a pocket diaper, you may want to pre-stuff your diapers so they are just ready to go. If you are using any other diaper, skip this step.
4. Get everything you would need for a change.
You’ll need things like a liner (not needed, but you can use if you like), diaper, wipes, wipe solution (if you choose), and diaper rash cream (cloth diaper friendly cream and only as needed).
5. Do the change. Take off the soiled diaper and put on the fresh clean one!
6. Dump solids. If there are any solids in the soiled diaper, dump that in the toilet. Use a handy dandy diaper sprayer for help! Skip this step if it is just wet or if the baby is exclusively breastfed (their waste is water soluble).
7. Safe storage. Put the soiled diaper into a pail liner or wet bag.
8. Relax. You’re all done. Now just sit back and enjoy your baby’s fluffy bum!!
See? Cloth diapering is easy! There truly isn’t anything that different between using cloth and disposables (except that cloth diapers are safer for the environment and your baby). So, if I, often one of the most laziest people around (LOL), can do it…so can YOU!
About The Great Cloth Diaper Change Ambassadors
We are a team of writers who are all part of The Great Cloth Diaper Change, an international initiative organized with the help of the nonprofit Real Diaper Association. The event is designed to show the world that cloth diapers are a real option for today’s families. The Great Cloth Diaper Change is an exciting Guinness World Record breaking event, and in 2011, more than 5,000 babies were changed simultaneously. For more information visit www.GreatClothDiaperChange.com.