Thank you to Mothering member namontoya for contributing this recipe.
Say hello to your new favorite, super easy and very impressive desserts. They’re also a great dessert for kids as there is no added sugar. The kids will also REALLY enjoy rolling these with you!
- 2 C pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1/4 C cacao powder
- 1 T ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut, separated
- 1 T coconut oil (+ more for rolling truffles)
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t vanilla extract (optional)
- For coating:
- 1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 C hazelnut meal (or crushed hazelnuts)
- 1/4 C sesame seeds
1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and begin to process. It will be noisy and tough to break up the dates, so it’ll take some time. Add 1 T of water at a time to help loosen it up, but do so slowly so the mixture doesn’t get too wet or sticky. If it does (it happened to me), add more coconut and a touch more cacao powder.
2. Refrigerate mixture for 20 minutes or so before rolling into little truffles.
3. Put some coconut oil on your hands before rolling. Measure about a scant T and roll away. I ended up with 20 exactly…kind of lucky I think, but of course it’ll depend on how large or small you roll them.
4. Coat the truffles in your desired coating or mix and match. Then refrigerate for about 30 minutes or longer. Just let them sit at room temp for a few minutes before serving.