Thanks to Mothering member teenagreena for contributing this recipe.
This is a grain-free, dairy-free all around healthier version of the traditional lemon poppy seed muffins. The addition of coconut oil, almond flour and chia seeds make it a healthy treat rich in protein, healthy fat and omega-3 fatty acids. Kids love these muffins for their flavor. Mom’s love them because they are healthy and they keep the kids going for a while!
- 3 eggs (preferably organic and pasture-raised)
- 1/3 cup melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (2 small or 1 large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (2 small or 1 large lemon)
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal or flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Line muffin pans with muffin/cupcake papers or squares of parchment paper..
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs
- Add coconut oil, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and chia seeds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them to the top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-3- minutes until golden brown.
Yield: 9 muffins
Double the recipe and freeze the muffins for future use.
This recipe can be used to make a loaf or coffee cake by doubling the recipe and using a loaf
pan or square baking pan and increasing the baking time to 1 hour until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Coconut flour can be substituted for part of the almond flour. About 1 Tablespoon of coconut flour per ¼ cup of almond flour.
Source: Tina Green, Natural Chef
Cost Per Serving: $.78/muffin