Thank you to Mothering member butterflyrouge for contributing this recipe. Find more recipes here.
- 1 bag dried lentils,rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 sticks of celery, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cubes of chicken or vegetable bouillon OR about 6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley OR 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
In large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until transparent around the edges, about one minute. Add lentils and broth or bouillon cubes. If using bouillon cubes add enough water to cover the lentils. Add vegetables and bring to a simmer. Add herbs and reduce heat, simmering the soup till the lentils and vegetables are soft, about two hours. Add more water as it cooks out, stirring from time to time. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Makes about 8 servings.