Ask yourself the following questions to help determine if you are communicating openly with your teen:
- Am I honest with my teenager? Do I really say what I feel, in a non-hurtful way?
- Can my teen be honest with me? If he shares his beliefs with me, and they are different than mine, am I still able to accept them?
- Do I listen before debating or retorting?
- Do I give positive feedback, without demanding a change?
- Am I open to receiving feedback from my teenager?
- If I were a teen, would I come to me to share a feeling or a goal?