By Chef Al, The Institute for Culinary Awakening
Recently the Mothering staff was treated to a gourmet Vegan lunch prepared by Chef Al at The Institute for Culinary Awakening. This is one of our favorite dishes from this wonderful dining experience.
4 C Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 TB Light Miso
Pinch Celtic Sea Salt (The Grain and Salt Society)
2 TB Parsley, chopped
3 TB Raw tahini
1 tsp Fresh Sage, chopped fine
1/4 C Yellow onion, minced
1. Rinse and drain pumpkin seeds in strainer. Transfer to stainless steel bowl, cover with filtered water (2″ above seeds) and let sit for 5 hours at room temperature.
2. Drain, rinse and place into VitaMix blender or Cuisinart. Use low then medium speed, stir with spoon. Add just enough water to seeds to get blended (do 3-4 batches at a time); drain liquid from each batch, push through strainer. Discard liquid or use on your plants. Note: final amount of pumpkin seed pate should be about 1 quart.
3. Place pate into stainless steel bowl, then place entire bowl into plastic bag. Let sit at room temperature overnight to develop flavors. (12 hours).
4. Next, add all other prepared ingredients to the pate. Taste, reseason as needed.
5. Label, date and place into glass container with lid. Refrigerate. Use with 4 days.
Note: Chef Al recommends using all organic ingredients and working with local farmers as much as possible for organic produce.
1. For a Raw Living Food Taste Extravaganza – place in a red cabbage cup as a center piece for a beautiful Crudite Platter of Fresh, Organic Veggies.
2. Place a Dollop of pate on a thinly sliced piece of bias cut zucchini. Garnich with a red bell pepper in a small diamond shape; arrange on a colorful plate with Organic edible flowers in the middle.