ABy Jeremy Adam Smith
So, apparently, on Tuesday I was a guest on The Today Show:
5. I liked the clip of Lance and his family that preceded my interview; he and his wife are really the stars of this show, and I’m not sure why Stacy and I were necessary, though I’m happy enough to chat about my book with any national TV audience. (Because I’ve become a media whore?) The night before, I’d had dinner with Lance and Matt and Patrick of NYC Dads. What a great bunch of guys and what great work they’re doing.
6. I was dismayed that Willie Geist was filling in for Kathie Lee — because, come on, it’s Kathie Lee! — but Willie seemed like an amiable fella. In person, Hoda came off as bigger than life.
7. I was quite sick that day, and the interview itself was a blur. I remember Willie looking pretty uncomfortable when I rejected the idea that stigma defines stay-at-home dads and when I brought up paternity leave. (Thought-ballon I imagined over his head: “Crap, he’s not going to get political, is he? I thought this was supposed to be about stay-at-home dads!”)
8. I’m pasting in the code from the clip without having actually watched the clip–and I don’t plan on ever watching it, truth be told. I can’t stand to see myself on TV.
9. Apparently, my son Liko can’t stand to see me on TV either. Since we don’t have a TV at home, he and my wife and my mother went to a diner with a big flat screen on 24th St. to watch the show. About two minutes in, Liko finished his breakfast, sighed heavily, and said, “Can I go home now?”
That’s exactly how I felt! That’s my boy!