In the newly-revised edition of Feeding the Young Athlete there is a section on the value of team meals. It is not uncommon for gathering groups to share a meal but the effort sometimes seems like “too much”. Well, everyone needs to eat each day and if the meal is divided up among members the results can be nourishing on many levels. Start with something really simple. Maybe a Baked Potato Feast where one family bakes the spuds and others bring:
- Dairy toppings such as grated cheese and sour cream
- Vegetarian protein toppings such as yummy black beans or fried tempeh
- Grilled chicken strips or tuna salad
- Blanched broccoli, cauliflower, green beans
- Fresh salsas and relishes such as a sweet pepper relish
Are you with me so far?
Renew with shared food.
We love these quick pickled red onions on baked potatoes, sandwiches, salads. Printable recipe here.
About Cynthia Lair
Cynthia Lair’s web cooking show Cookus Interruptus brings humor to healthy family eating with over 160 recipe videos. Cynthia hails from Seattle, WA where she is assistant professor and culinary director at Bastyr University, School of Natural Medicine. She is the author of Feeding the Whole Family with foreword by Mothering’s beloved Peggy O’Mara.