Thank you to Mothering member chispita for contributing this recipe. Find more recipes here.
This was my grandmother’s recipe.
- 500g frozen spinach
- One of those round containers of cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Medium sized onion, chopped small and sauteed till translucent
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs: separate one yolk, and mix the other egg and the extra white
- Filo dough / pate brisee / quiche crust – some kind of dough that won’t be too heavy for both a top and a bottom
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix the spinach, onion, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs (not the reserved yolk). Salt and pepper to taste. Assemble as a pie on a buttered container (dough on bottom of container going up sides, then filing, then dough top) – and make sure the top layer of dough has a vent hole; I also punch holes with a fork in a few places to avoid bubbles. Paint with the reserved egg yolk. Bake for 30 minutes or until the dough is done and golden.