What is tagging and why is it important?
How is the tagging on this site different than other sites?
- Add Tags To Forum Posts And Wiki Articles
View Tag Pages
- Subscribe To Topic Tags
Tags allow information from around the community to be aggregated together. They are labels that can be added to forum posts or Wiki articles to tie pieces of content together to make relevant information easier to find.
Product Tags are unique identifiers for a specific product. These tags are used to tie together content that is relevant to specific items. This helps surface the most relevant discussion threads, wiki articles, reviews, etc. to that item.
Site Tags are broader. For example, Category Tags are a particular type of Site Tag. If a thread or Wiki discusses an entire category of gear, it is better to tag the content with the category, as opposed to having to tag it with EVERY tag for EVERY item in that category.
Other Site Tags refer to an interesting topic.
The difference between our tagging infrastructure and others you may be familiar with is that we restrict tagging to tags that exist in our system. By enforcing more rigidity in the tagging system, the hope is that we are much more effective at aggregating ALL content relevant to a given product or topic.
- Navigate to the forum thread or Wiki article that you would like to tag. In the right hand column, you will see the "Add/Remove Tags" button in the "Tags" section.
- Click the "Add/Remove Tags" button.
- The Tag tool will appear. The default setting allows you to use the Autocomplete tool to find your desired tags. Simply start typing the topic you would like to tag the post or wiki with. Related tags will appear.
- You also have the option to browse Product Tags. Click the drop down menu to narrow down to a particular product. Then narrow down to a sub-category, select a manufacturer, and browse the available Product Tags.
- You also have the option to use the Tag Search. Start by clicking the "Tag Search" button.
- Enter your search term in the blank field and hit the "Search for Tags" button.
- Select tags from the list by clicking on them. They will appear in your Queue.
- When you are satisfied with your selection, click "Submit" Your tags will not be added until you click to save.
- Navigate to the forum thread or Wiki article. In the right hand column, you will see the "Add/Remove Tags" button in the "Tags" section.
- Click the "Add/Remove Tags" button. it will appear before the Wiki Tags box.
- The Tag tool will appear with the list of Current Tags. Click the X next to the tag you would like to remove.
- The forum thread or Wiki article will reload without the tag.
Each Product, Category, and Site Tag has a unique Tag Page. On the Tag Page, you will see all the forum threads and Wiki articles that have been tagged with that particular tag, as well as the content that is related to that tag.
To view a Product Tag page from a forum thread or Wiki, simply click on the tag in the tag list. To view a Product Tag page from the Product Page, click the "More Related Forum Threads And Wiki Articles" button.
To view a Category Tag page from a forum thread or Wiki, simply click on the tag in the tag list. To view a Category Tag page from the category itself, look at the right hand column of Related content (e.g. Threads and Wikis related to the category). At the bottom of each Related content box, you will see a "More" button. That button will take you to the Tag page.
To view any other Site Tag page, click on the tag from the tag list or navigate to the tag from the Site Tag page
If you are interested in a particular topic, you might consider subscribing to a tag related to the topic. You will be alerted when something is tagged with that topic. These subscriptions work in the same way as a subscription to a Product or a Wiki or a forum thread.
- Navigate to the tag page.
- At the top of the page, toward the right hand side, you will see the "Subscribe to this Tag" button.