Even picky eaters will love this Tamale Pie Recipe. Easy to make (and to eat), this recipe combines the right amount of spicy and comfort ingredients. Beans, cheese, cornbread, and chilies will warm empty bellies on cold days.
1 tablespoon oil
1 pound lean ground beef or 1 14-ounce block of firm tofu, crumbled
1 yellow or white onion, chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
1 14-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 4-ounce can green chilies
1 15-ounce can corn, drained
1 4-ounce can sliced black olives
1 14-ounce can kidney beans
1 cup grated cheddar or jack cheese
1/4 cup water (delete if using tofu)
1 pound package cornbread mix and ingredients to make the cornbread (eggs, milk, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium high heat, add the beef/tofu and onion, pepper. Add salt, chili powder, paprika and cumin.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until beef has browned. Remove from heat and drain excess fat/liquid.
- Mix in tomatoes, chiles, corn, olives, beans, cheese and water (if using). Add more chili powder and cumin if desired.
- Rub a little oil in a 9×13 baking dish. Spoon into the dish.
- In a large bowl prepare the cornbread batter. Pour the batter over the meat/bean mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is browned.
- Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and/ or salsa.