Here’s a list of fantastic stuff that left an impression on my frontal lobe and softened heart. Otherwise known as: The best of anything and everything.
Do your own list: “The Best List Ever, by [insert your name]: Vol. 1. It’ll make you simmer with sweet memories and proof of excellence. Here we go. This is gonna feel goood.
MY BEST LIST EVER. 100% adored. In no particular order.
- The Missing Piece Meets The Big O, by Shel Silverstien. The most elegant and charming description of human relationships. Heartbreaking, really. It’s my favourite wedding gift to give.
- Wim Wenders’, Wings of Desire and Far Away So Close. Made me want to fall in love, fly, move to Berlin, french-kiss Lou Reed, and talk to my angels.
- Leonard Cohen at the Palo Solari in Santa Fe. Circa ’95. Under the stars. A hot night. Angelic backup singers. Oozing the most Zen-Let’s-All-Make-Love-Right-Now vibe humanly possible. Religious.
- Dip big strawberries in sour-cream, and then dip it into brown sugar. Divine. Great picnic treat.
- Pangea Organics Japanese Matcha Tea with Acai & Goji Berry Facial Mask. Incredible product from one of the most eco-progressive beauty companies, ever.
- WordPress. There’s a reason why Google bought it.
- The Arlington Institute’s FutureEdition. Best aggregation of news in global trends and outliers.
- Pecha Kucha Night speaking events. 20 slides. 20 seconds each to talk about whatever inspires you (or me). Brilliant format.
- Honey Beeswax Candles. I’m fanatical about them. They clean the air, are thus merciful on your lungs, and last forever. I order mine from an equally fanatical craftsman in a small town in Ontario.
- Krishnamurti. Total Freedom.
- Allan Watts. Beyond Theology.
- Sir Ken Robinson’s TED Talk. How schools kill creativity. Hilarious and profound.
- Soul centering sessions with Navjit Kandola.
- Project jamming with Dyana Valentine.
- The lavender milk chocolate sauce on Belgian waffles at Medina Cafe, Vancouver.
- Jim Morrison’s An American Prayer.
- Maya Angelou speaking on stage in San Francisco. Proud poetic power personified.
- Cheryl Sorg‘s text art. Got me one this year.
- Patricia Larsen‘s abstract paintings. Got me one last year.
- That time with S. in the cabin, doing that thing S. does so well.
- Silk Concept duvets. Lux sleepies, no more cold feet, eco-kind.
- Little Miss Sunshine.
- Eminence Organics Yam & Pumpkin Enzyme Peel. Indispensable for ye ol’ skin glow. Use it twice a week.
- Paper Mate Medium Point blue pens. I’ve tried fancy fountain pens, mechanical pencils that made me look designy-cool. But it’s the good n’ cheapies that do the trick.
- Your Sex is on Fire, Kings of Leon
- Red Hot Chili Pepper’s Stadium Arcadium. If you don’t love this double CD, I’m not sure that we can be friends.
- Rilke! “I want to unfold, for where I am folded, there I am a lie.”
- Rumi…Rumi…my love. “You were born with wings. Why prefer to crawl through life?”
- Mary Oliver, sistah. “What will you do with your one wild and precious life?”
- This advice from a mentor when it all fell apart: Know your rights.
- Bella Cucina’s Artichoke Lemon Pesto. It even made Oprah’s list. (Tho’ my list is so much juicer, don’t you agree?)
- Beauty, by John O’ Donohue. Anything by John O’Donohue, really.
- Hallelujah, as sung by kd lang, whom I think is one of the most masterful song interpreters ever. This performance makes me want to pull out all the stops in my life. And then be incredibly modest about it.
- Pet insurance. Just get it.
- Ten Thousand Waves. Santa Fe, NM. Heaven, hot tubs, and Indian oil in the hills. Heav-en.
- The best moment with my kid, ever. We’re eating chocolate cones outside an ice cream parlor at dusk. Me: “So, pookie, what’s it like being alive?” The Kid (without missing a beat): “Oh mama! It’s AAA-MAZ-ing! If I were a telephone, I’d be ringin’ all the time!”
… to be continued …
About Danielle LaPorte
Danielle LaPorte is the author of the book The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide for Creating Success on Your Own Terms (from Random House/Crown). An inspirational speaker, former think tank exec and business strategist, she is the creator of the online program The Spark Kit: A Digital Experience for Entrepreneurs and co-author of Your Big Beautiful Book Plan. Over a million visitors have gone for her straight-up advice on DanielleLaPorte.com, a site that has been deemed “the best place on-line for kick-ass spirituality.”