For many babies, diaper cream will be one of the first and most frequent body products to touch their skin. For this reason finding a truly natural and safe bottom balm is a top priority for parents, but examining all of the options can seem overwhelming–especially if you’re looking for a cream that won’t build up and destroy your cloth diapers.
To help you with your search we’ve provided a breakdown of some of the Mothering Community’s most commonly used natural diaper creams. We’ve included their full ingredients, toxicity ratings, cloth diaper safety information and a link to the community reviews of the creams so you can more easily decide if one may be right for you.
The toxicity ratings below come from the Environmental Working Group’s highly respected Skin Deep Database, which has reviewed more than 75,000 products. The lower the rating the better (0 is the lowest and 10 is the highest).
1. Lusa Organics Booty Balm
- Ingredients: *Olive oil, *jojoba oil, local beeswax, *avocado oil, flowers of *calendula, *lavender, and *chamomile; essential oil blend (lavender, patchouli, peru balsam, and chamomile).(*certified organic ingredient)
- Safety: Lusa Organics Booty Balm has a rating of 1 in the Skin Deep Database, which is considered very low. All of the details can be found here.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: Very safe with cloth diapers.
2. Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm
- Ingredients: Olea europaea (organic olive) oil, calendula officinalis (organic calendula) extract, hypericum perforatum (organic St. John’s wort) extract, stellaria media (organic chickweed) extract, plantago major (organic plantain extract), butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, euphorbia antisyphilitica (candelilla), simmondsia chinensis (organic jojoba) oil, proprietary blend of lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil and commiphora myrrha (myrrh) oil.
- Safety: Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm has the best rating possible in the Skin Deep Database, a 0. Find the info sheet here.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: Very safe with cloth diapers.
3. Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Diaper Ointment
- Ingredients: Prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond oil), CI 77947 (zinc oxide), cera alba (beeswax, cira d’abeille), lavandula hybrida oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, anthemis nobilis flower oil, avandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, calendula officinalis flower oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, and canola oil (huile de colza).
- Safety: This product has a rating of 3 in the Skin Deep Database, the greatest point of concern being retinyl acetate with a rating of 8. More information here.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: This product contains zinc oxide which will build up in certain types of cloth diapers, reducing their absorbency and ability to wick properly. Generally this product is considered safe to use with prefolds and other cloth but not with fleece or suede as it will not wash out completely. Use with caution.
4. Weleda Baby Calendula Diaper Care Cream
- Ingredients: Active Ingredients: zinc oxide 12% .Inactive Ingredients: beeswax, benzyl benzoate, benzyl salicylate, calendula flower extract, chamomile flower extract, geraniol, glyceryl linoleate, hectorite, lanolin, limonene, linalool, sweet almond oil, sesame seed oil, and water.
- Safety: Waleda’s Baby Calendula Diaper Cream has a rating of 4 in the Skin Deep Database. The main concern is the fragrance used, carrying a high rating of 8. Find the whole breakdown here.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: Although diaper creams containing zinc oxide are generally not considered safe to use with cloth diapers, this cream is used my many cloth diapering moms successfully. It is recommended that you use caution and test for yourself.
5. California Baby Diaper Rash Cream
- Ingredients: Active Ingredient: zinc oxide. Inactive Ingredients: water, vegetable glycerin USP (sourced from coconut or olive), lanolin USP (ultra purified), cetearyl olivate, sorbitan olivate (sourced from coconut or olive), cocos nucifera oil (sourced from coconut or olive), caprylic/capric triglyceride (sourced from coconut or olive), cetyl alcohol (sourced from coconut or olive), aloe barbadensis Leaf Juice (aloe vera), rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract (antioxidant), xanthan gum USP, calendula officinalis extract (calendula), viola tricolor extract (pansy), yucca aloifolia extract, lavandula angustifolia (lavender), salvia sclarea (clary sage), melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree), phytic acid (rice origin), glyceryl caprylate, caprylhydroxamic (amino acid).
- Safety: California Baby Diaper Cream has a very low rating of 1 (lower is better) in the Skin Deep Database, find the fact sheet here.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: As with many popular diaper creams the active ingredient in this product is zinc oxide, which can build up over time and reduce the effectiveness of cloth diapers. Many moms, however, swear by California Baby creams as safe for cloth. Use caution with fleece and suede especially.
6. GroVia Magic Stick All Natural Diaper Ointment
- Ingredients: Vitis vinifera (grapeseed) oil, apis mellifera (beeswax), limmnanthes alba (meadowfoam) oil, simmondsia chinensis (organic Jojoba) oil, butyrospermun parkii (shea) oil, rosa mosqueta (organic rosehip) and a proprietary blend of essential oils.
- Safety: No information could be found in the Skin Deep Database for this item.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: This ointment is made by a cloth diaper company for use with cloth and is considered safe to use.
7. Fair Trade Organic White Virgin Coconut Oil
- Ingredients: Organic coconut oil.
- Safety: There is no rating for this product in the Skin Deep Database.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: Coconut oil is used many many parents as a natural and effective alternative to diaper creams and is considered very safe with cloth diapers of all types.
8. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter
- Ingredients: Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), extracts of frankincense and myrrh, tocopherol (vitamin E), essential oil blend.
- Safety: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea Butter carries a very good rating of 1 in the Skin Deep Database. More information can be found here.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: This product is considered by most to be safe for cloth diapers, but test for yourself before using on your own.
9. Badger Organic Baby Balm
- Ingredients: *Extra virgin olive oil, *beeswax, *castor oil, essential oil of *chamomile, and CO2 extract of *calendula. (*certified organic ingredient)
- Safety: This product has a rating of 0, the best possible rating in the Skin Deep Database. Find the fact sheet here.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: Badger Baby Balm is safe to use with most cloth diapers. Always test delicate fabrics before regular use.
10. Grandma El’s Diaper Rash Remedy and Prevention
- Ingredients: Amber petrolatum, anhydrous lanolin, natural vitamin E, balsam of peru extracts, and salicylic acid.
- Safety: No information could be found for this item in the Skin Deep Database.
- Cloth Diaper Safety: Considered 100% safe for cloth diapers.
Did we miss something? Have you used one of these creams and loved it or hated it? Tell us about it in the comments to help other parents decide!