Who knew that pie could be so good for you! We know that Tofu isn’t the first thing when you think of pie, but this take on a savory favorite will make anyone crave bean curd.
Here’s a recipe for a basic pie dough or use your own favorite recipe.
3 cups whole-wheat pastry, or spelt flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks of butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6 to 12 tablespoons water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add salt and flour. Cut in butter.
- Add egg, lemon juice and water to the flour mixture. Mix briskly and quickly with a fork or your hands. Add more water if needed.
- Roll out with a rolling pin between two pieces of waxed paper.
- Peel back the top piece, lay crust in 10-inch pie pan and peel back the bottom piece.
- Arrange crust in pan.
- Crimp edges of crust with fork.
Prick bottom of crust two or three times.
To crust, add the following mixture.
- Sauté in 2 tablespoons butter:
2 bunches chopped scallions
2 stalks chopped celery
1 chopped carrot
1 head chopped spinach
12 to 14 mushrooms, broken into pieces
Mix the sautéed mixture with the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ pound mashed, firm tofu
½ cup grated jack or Colby cheese
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Tamari sauce
1 Tablespoon brewer’s yeast
Salt and pepper to taste.
Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Set for 10 minutes before cutting.
Variations: Substitute 1 cup of yogurt for 1 cup of tofu.
Serve with brown rice and steamed carrots.