Your children will have fun shaping these soft pretzels!
2 cups whole wheat, spelt or rye flour
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
1 tablespoon honey or brown rice syrup
2 quarts boiling water
2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup sesame seeds
- In large bowl, mix 1 cup of the flour with yeast and salt.
- Heat milk and sweetener over low heat until warm but not hot and add to flour mixture. Beat vigorously for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour.
- On wet surface with wet hands, knead dough for approximately 8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Keep surface and hands wet enough to prevent dough from sticking.
- Form dough into ball. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and let dough rise in a warm place for one hour, or until doubled in size.
- Press down dough. Divide it into 16 equal parts.
- Roll pieces into 12-inch long ropes.
- To form pretzels, shape each rope into a circle with ends overlapping 3 inches. Twist strands where circle joins. Bring over-laps to opposite end, and tuck them under edge. Press to seal.
- Place pretzels on floured board. Cover with damp cloth and let rise 20 minutes. Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in large pot.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil large baking sheet.
- Dissolve salt in water. Lower 3 pretzels at a time into boiling water. After 45 seconds, remove pretzels from water with a slotted spoon. Place them on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet, and cool on wire rack.
Photo credit: slgckgc/Flickr