Labor Skills for Life's Tough Moments
Edited on 4/21/13
- 5 Elements for Healthy LivingEdited on 4/15/13
- Three 5-Minute Fixes for Holiday StressEdited on 11/28/12
- Can You Still Do Yoga Now That You Have Kids?
- topicBody And Soul
Alphabetical Article List
20 Ways To Spread KindnessPosted 10/23/12 • Last updated 10/24/12 • 577 views • 0 comments
1. Give genuine compliments. You might want to challenge yourself to give compliments to five or ten people a day. It keeps you on the lookout for truth and beauty. Tell a clerk she has a lovely voice, a child that his smile made your day, a loved one that their eyes are beautiful.
2. Keep duplicates of your child’s toys and books in the diaper bag. When you encounter fussy children, offer an extra to their parents.
3. Call an elderly relative or neighbor once a week to chat. You may think you’re enriching that person’s life. They’re enriching yours too.
4. Write a thank you note. To see the powerful impact this practice can have, check out A Simple Act of Gratitude: How Learning to Say Thank You Changed My Life.
5. Write an anti-thank you. Sure, it seems counter-intuitive but it’s a way of using a negative experience to help others.
6. Take your compliments about an employee to management. Chances are you’ll never see the impact. Chances are, it’ll be greater than you imagine.
7. Give up a great parking space for the car behind you. Parking farther away simply gives you more exercise.
8. Hold the door open for the person behind you.
9. Smile. Find out 10 ways this face stretcher benefits you as well as those on the receiving end.
10. Greet new people on your street with a small gift such as a houseplant or plate of cookies. The neighbors you’ve never met? Try online resources to connect with your neighbors, even to share some sugar.
11. Give gifts that do some good.
12. Set books free. Donate them to a good cause (a nearby school, your library’s book sale?) or leave them ala Book Crossing to find new readers.
13. Be aware of newcomers to your workplace, school, church or other organization. Make a point of greeting them and introducing them to others.
14. Donate blood. One pint of blood can save up to three lives.
15. See an act of aggression? Get involved even if it seems like none of your business. That’s a kindness too.
16. Donate pet food to the nearest animal shelter. While you’re there, offer to walk a few dogs.
18. Patronize kids’ car washes and lemonade stands.
19. Designate a tiny container as your family’s Pass It Forward box. Tuck it somewhere one member of the family will find it (under the bed pillow works) with a little surprise inside (a loving note, a handmade coupon for an unexpected perk, some chocolates, a drawing, a map of a place you’re going that day, a compliment). That person is expected to put something else in the box and leave it for another family member, so kindness can circle around and around.
20. Set a good example, be kind to yourself.
About Laura Grace Weldon
Laura Grace Weldon is a writer, editor, conflict resolution educator, and marginally useful farm wench. She's the author of Free Range Learning: How Homeschooling Changes Everything and slow at work on her next book, Subversive Cooking. She lives with her family on Bit of Earth Farm. Click over to visit her blog or see what she's up to on GeekMom.
(Image: CC by 2.0 williamshannon's flickr photostream)
- 5 Elements for Healthy Living
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 44 seconds ago
- › Anybody here planning a homebirth? 1 minute ago
- › Puppy Naming Poll 1 minute ago
- › How are you feeling? 2 minutes ago
- › Wedding Photographer in RI 4 minutes ago
- › Anyone doing IUI? 4 minutes ago
- › Breech Babies Turn! 4 minutes ago
- › 40 week roll call! 5 minutes ago
- › Breast pump covered by insurance 6 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat --May 20-26 8 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Why We Homeschool by Sheryl Paul
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf