Related Forum Threads
- DH problem with anger or me -- overreacting? Last post on Today at 2:03 pm in Parenting
- what do you do when you are so angry ? Last post on Yesterday at 7:01 pm in The Childhood Years
- When your difficult child wears you out Last post on Yesterday at 7:20 pm in The Childhood Years
- Five-year-old is talking back, yelling and disrespectful!! Have no more patience for this... Last post on 6/16/13 at 9:08pm in Gentle Discipline
- toy sharing between siblings - time limit or "until she's finished with it" Last post on Yesterday at 11:36 am in The Childhood Years
Fake It Until You Make It
Edited on 6/4/13
- Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?!Edited on 5/10/13
- Holiday time: when family & friends criticise your parenting...Edited on 11/19/12
- Playful Parenting, Simplicity Parenting or Full-tilt Ferber?
- topicGentle Discipline
Alphabetical Article List
Alternatives To PunishmentPosted 1/19/11 • Last updated 4/3/13 • 763 views
Need some help with punishment alternatives? Copy this list and post it where you can see it, as a constant reminder.
- Use positive reinforcement.
- Create a positive environment.
- Say yes as much as possible.
- Save no for the important things.
- Use natural consequences.
- Use logical consequences.
- Use restitution.
- Leave it up to your child.
- State your expectations, and get out of the way.
- Give specific instructions.
- Give a reason.
- Offer help.
- Give a choice.
- Redirect your child.
- Remove your child.
- Make positive statements.
- Give in occasionally.
- Give your child time to agree.
- Simply insist.
- Make rules.
- Ignore some behavior.
- Avoid nagging and threats.
- Distract your child.
- Use humor.
- Make it a game.
- Be willing to admit your mistakes.
- Stop and think before you act.
- Don't make a big fuss over little things.
- Stick to routines.
- Don't hurry your children too much.
- Get to the root of the problem.
- Correct one behavior at a time.
- Give yourselves time.
- Use the golden rule.
- Model appropriate behavior.
- Think of your child as an equal.
- Always keep your love for your child in mind.
- Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?!
Currently, there are 1303 Active Users (108 Members and 1195 Guests)
- › Anyone feeling movement yet? 44 seconds ago
- › Just need some support for choices I have made 54 seconds ago
- › The Saner TTC-Flower Moon 4 minutes ago
- › ASD anxiety 5 minutes ago
- › the belly thread 7 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat Thread: 6/17-6/23 7 minutes ago
- › Bismarck, ND~midwife 8 minutes ago
- › Reasons for not vaccinating children? 9 minutes ago
- › ~The TTC One Thread June 2013~ 10 minutes ago
- › Taking the Scenic Route to a BFP - Sping/Summer 2013 13 minutes ago
- › Bug Band Insect Repellent Wristbands - Blue by MinneapolisMama
- › Burt's Bees Baby Bee SPF 30 Sunscreen Stick, 0.7 Ounce by lamjenifer
- › Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Baby Head-to-Toe Wash & Shampoo -... by glassesgirlnj
- › Aveeno Cleansing baby shampoo by fayebond
- › Aveeno Soothing Oat Baby Wash by fayebond
- › Earth Mama Body Butter - 8oz by fayebond
- › Maclaren Beginning Travel Kit for Mother by fayebond
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by lightbulb
- › Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray by fayebond
- › Do Naturals Just Berry Shampoo and Conditioner by fayebond
- › Ouch! How Homeopathy Can Help With Those... by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathic Help for Post-Partum Mothers: a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Adding the Second Child by Sarah Clark
- › 5 Steps for Managing Stress and Anxiety by Melanie Mayo
- › What Marketers Don't Understand About... by Melanie Mayo
- › For the Dads by Rachel Wolf
- › What Happened When This Bereaved Mom Sought A... by momofnatasha
- › More About Soothing Small Tummies from... by Melanie Mayo
- › Get Ready To Read By Playing by Melanie Mayo
- › "Do You Trust Me?" by SantoshaMama