1. "Are you a writer?"
I'm at a reading by the novelist Nicholas Baker. The man who asks this question (apropos of nothing) is in his fifties, trim and gray, and he leans forward earnestly, as if he has seen in me the possibility of some revelation.
"Yes," I say. "Yes I am." I'm still surprised when I hear myself answer this question in the affirmative.
"Oh!" His eyebrows rise with admiration. "What do you write about?"
I can see the admiration drain out. "Oh," he says.
I hasten to add, "But I write about other things as well."
Too late. He turns away, hand going to his cheek, waiting for Nicholas Baker to appear.
2. "Are you a writer?"
The barista sweeping the floor isn't asking me. She's asking the long-haired bohemian with a serious mien who sits across from me.
He smiles. "No," he says. "I work in a record store."
"I thought you were a writer," she says, leaning on the broom. "You look like a writer!"
They both laugh.
"I'm a writer," I say.
They both look at me cautiously.
"Really?" I can see that the barista doesn't believe me, even though I'm sitting at the table with a pen in hand and a stack of manuscripts. "What do you write about?"
"Fatherhood, most of the time. Books. Science. Politics."
"Oh," she says, her interest visually waning. "Well, you don't look like a writer."
"What do I look like?"
She thinks for a moment, eyes skyward, and then goes back to sweeping the floor.
"You look like a schoolteacher," she says.
3. "Are you a writer?"
I'm on an airplane, and it's the steward who asks me, a clean-cut, blonde, middle-aged Midwesterner.
"Yes, I am."
"Ho boy!" he says. "I've got some great stories. You should write about one of them! This one time blah me and my father blah blah blah blah blah blah biggest fish I ever caught blah blah blah..."
I look past him, towards the emergency exit. Can I make it...?
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone feel excluded from other AP groups as a working mom? Last post on 1/20/14 at 6:57pm in Working and Student Parents
- Attachment Parenting, Seperation Anxiety, and Independence Last post on 7/12/13 at 7:37pm in Life With a Baby
- Working after baby??? Last post on 7/3/13 at 4:25am in Life With a Baby
- US mothers increasingly main family breadwinner Last post on 6/2/13 at 7:27am in Natural Parenting News
- Are you taking your kids to work this Thursday, April 25th, for "Take Your Child to Work... Last post on 4/30/13 at 12:44pm in Parenting
Sitting With My Child's Anger
Last edited: 2/2/14
- The Price We Pay to Stay "Connected"Last edited: 8/3/13
- Simple Tips for the Work at Home MomLast edited: 3/12/13
- What It's Really Like to Work From Home
- topicWork And Familytagged by AdinaL, 4/7/13
Alphabetical Article List
"Are You a Writer?"
1. "Are you a writer?"
- The Price We Pay to Stay "Connected"
- › How often do you...? 1 minute ago
- › Nursing Tops? 1 minute ago
- › Family care advice 8 minutes ago
- › Lip tie 8 minutes ago
- › Our Belly Thread!!!! 8 minutes ago
- › Is the media becoming more pro-vaccine? 12 minutes ago
- › Names yet? 13 minutes ago
- › Pertussis outbreaks and updates 14 minutes ago
- › Misgivings anyone? 15 minutes ago
- › pregnancy announcements 18 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › When Mothering Means Chaos by AmandaK
- › Calming Yourself During Colic: Expert tips... by KidsInTheHouse
- › 3 Simple Ways to Nurture Yourself by Marcy Axness
- › The Birth of River by Kristen Tea
- › The Never Agains by BrainChild
- › Day in the Life: A Graphical Representation by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Operation Meditation by Brian Leaf
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo