One of these days I want to write a book about all these photos that I have been featuring on my blog. I believe there was a brief window in history where poor, rural mothers were afforded a level of breastfeeding freedom that their city-dwelling cousins didn't have. Indeed, this was before the milk industry rushed in and changed infant feeding habits for mothers all across the country.
There are statistics about the growing number of women who bottle-fed their babies during this time, but what about the small percentage of women who continued to breastfeed? I want to tell their story. It would take a lot of work, to be sure, but I think it can be done
These are drought refugees from Oklahoma camping by the roadside. They hope to work in the cotton fields. The official at the border (California-Arizona) inspection service said that on this day, August 17, 1936, twenty-three car loads and truck loads of migrant families out of the drought counties of Oklahoma and Arkansas had passed through that station entering California up to 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
And here is the mother's husband (I'm assuming). Even if he wasn't her husband, this mother didn't have to remove herself from the premises or cover herself just to nurse her son.
And this woman (below) didn't feel compelled to nurse elsewhere even though she was being photographed nursing her daughter by a male photographer, Ben Shahn.
Breastfeeding, in my opinion and based on these photos, had not yet been defiled and was still a pristine practice.
It wouldn't be long, though, before breastfeeding, as a natural practice, fell by the wayside especially as more mothers fed their babies cow's milk in a bottle like this mother.
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, FSA-OWI Collection, Reproduction Numbers: LC-USF34-009747-E DLC, LC-USF3301-006023-M5 DLC, LC-USF34-T01-009666-E DLC
Currently, there are 998 Active Users (15 Members and 983 Guests)
- › What do you do to tone down the commercialism of the holidays? 4 minutes ago
- › how to handle child favoring one parent over the other? 52 minutes ago
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Not Good Enough for MIL 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Almost 6 yo DD will.not.pick.up.toys 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Vancouver, BC non-vaxxers 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Exercise During Pregnancy 1 hour, 41 minutes ago
- › baby and public places/strangers/personal space 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › are there people on here who did zero vaccinations for their kids... 2 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Symptoms 2 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Polar Express by Melanie Mayo
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Five Free, Festive Ways to Have Fun at Christmas by Monica S
- › Cosleeping in a Coca-Cola Commercial by Brian Leaf
- › Terms and Conditions: BabyKicks and The... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should You Care About the Photo of Gisele... by Monica S
- › Christmas Through Their Eyes by AmandaK
- › 6 Mistakes People Make When a Friend's... by momofnatasha
- › Hyland's Holiday Challenge Mothering... by JenniO11
- › Lead in Christmas Lights, Toxic Decorations... by Amy Serotkin
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh