Related Forum Threads
- If you have used fenugreek or some other type of lactation herb..... Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:38pm in Breastfeeding
- fertility yoga poses! Last post on 12/9/10 at 5:18am in Fertility
5 Elements for Healthy Living
Edited on 4/15/13
- Our Skin Eats TooEdited on 10/24/12
- Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer Travels!Edited on 5/15/13
- Labor Skills for Life's Tough Moments
Alphabetical Article List
Can You Still Do Yoga Now That You Have Kids?
By Brian Leaf
If you're into yoga (or soft porn) you may have seen the Equinox Fitness YouTube videos of Briohny Smyth practicing yoga postures in her lingerie. Since the release of the first video in December of 2011, these clips have generated lots of controversy … and page views, at times garnering 500,000 views a day.
Some contend that the clips are art in motion and a testament to human potential. Others feel that the videos objectify women and use sex to sell yoga and the Equinox brand.
I think I agree with this second camp. If nothing else, I suspect that most viewers leave the videos feeling not uplifted, but depressed and insecure about themselves and their own bodies. You can watch the video below (if you dare) and chime in with an opinion.
Furthermore, when I compare this serene scene to my own life and my own yoga practice, something makes me laugh. Let's just say that my yoga practice looks ... a bit different.
So without further ado, here is my unofficial proposal for the next video in the Equinox Fitness Yoga Series, the Family Yoga Video....
About Brian Leaf
Brian Leaf is author of the yoga memoir, Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi: My Humble Quest to Heal My Colitis, Calm My ADD, and Find the Key to Happiness. You can find him on line at www.misadventures-of-a-yogi.com.
- Our Skin Eats Too
- › I have MANY questions about my upcoming UBAC, large baby 51 seconds ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 2 minutes ago
- › Tandem nursing thread 2 minutes ago
- › Tetanis help - pic 3 minutes ago
- › is this positive (CD 14) 5 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 8 minutes ago
- › Freezer cooking 8 minutes ago
- › sensitive to rejection 10 minutes ago
- › Tale of woe - gestational diabetes test 11 minutes ago
- › Egg yolk as first solid for baby? 14 minutes ago
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by Cathlin
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo