Related Forum Threads
- Are you taking your kids to work this Thursday, April 25th, for "Take Your Child to Work... Last post on 4/30/13 at 12:44pm in Parenting
- We all make our own choices Last post on Today at 11:13 am in Stay at Home Parents
Simple Tips for the Work at Home Mom
Edited on 3/12/13
- What It's Really Like to Work From HomeEdited on 1/11/13
- Peggy O'Mara Discusses Balancing Work and FamilyEdited on 10/18/12
- Juggling Career and Home
- topicWork And Family
Alphabetical Article List
Fatherhood in the Great Debate
Here, predictably, was my favorite part of the vice-presidential debate. From Biden:
Look, I understand what it's like to be a single parent. When my wife and daughter died and my two sons were gravely injured, I understand what it's like as a parent to wonder what it's like if your kid's going to make it.
I understand what it's like to sit around the kitchen table with a father who says, "I've got to leave, champ, because there's no jobs here. I got to head down to Wilmington. And when we get enough money, honey, we'll bring you down."
I understand what it's like. I'm much better off than almost all Americans now. I get a good salary with the United States Senate. I live in a beautiful house that's my total investment that I have. So I -- I am much better off now.
But the notion that somehow, because I'm a man, I don't know what it's like to raise two kids alone, I don't know what it's like to have a child you're not sure is going to -- is going to make it -- I understand.
I understand, as well as, with all due respect, the governor or anybody else, what it's like for those people sitting around that kitchen table. And guess what? They're looking for help. They're looking for help.
That felt true and heartfelt to me; I don't think he was faking it. Whatever his shortcomings, this is a man who has experienced great pain, reflected on that pain, and allowed it to inform his work as a senator.
In contrast, I felt that Palin spoke about her family in the most robotic, scripted, shallow ways imaginable. She loves them at home, I have no doubt, but on the job she's using her children as campaign props.
Does that contrast provide any reason to vote for one or the other? Not by itself, but in both the presidential and vice-presidential debates, both Obama and Biden have expressed depths of feeling and experience that I find tremendously encouraging. These are not careless men.
Alas, a Blog made a good observation:
Biden choked up in that moment, as I think one would forever. He wasnt grandstanding, and he wasnt attacking Palin, he was simply making a point: that dads, too, know about household fears. That just as Palin is not disqualified from talking about the statehouse just because shes a woman, Biden is not disqualified from talking about his home life just because hes a man. It was, ironically, the most feminist moment of the debate.
- What It's Really Like to Work From Home
- › Summer Homeschooling? Are you doing any? 2 minutes ago
- › Grimm's Spiel & Holz Fraction Circles Puzzle 18 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 18 minutes ago
- › Holztiger wooden fox 27 minutes ago
- › is this positive (CD 14) 28 minutes ago
- › - test result, late period, home birth questions 35 minutes ago
- › Grimm's Birthday Ring, 12 hole blue-green 37 minutes ago
- › Grimm's Birthday Ring, 16 hole multi-coloured 38 minutes ago
- › Update on My marriage 40 minutes ago
- › Grimm's Birthday Ring, 16 hole multi-coloured 43 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo