Related Forum Threads
- Supplements? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:02am in January 2012
- Vitamin D necessary for kids who don't drink milk? Last post on 6/8/11 at 9:52pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
- Pediatricians, and informing parents on health for children other than vaccinations Last post on 4/27/11 at 12:27pm in Vaccinations
- "Advanced" Baby Food Last post on 3/17/11 at 7:18pm in Life With a Babe
- Q about blackstrap molasses/calcium/iron Last post on 1/10/11 at 7:40pm in Nutrition and Good Eating
Feeling Tired? The Mothering Mavens discuss energy levels and iron
There are a lot of things that make us tired: chasing a toddler, working in or outside the home, being up at night with a new baby, and everything else that makes up being a mom. When we’re pregnant or postpartum, the exhaustion can be exacerbated. In addition, many women suffer from iron deficiency at different times in their lives, which can lead to additional fatigue - and that’s the last thing any mama needs!
The Floradix & Mothering Mavens Focus Group
Longtime Mothering sponsor Floradix partnered with the Mothering Mavens to host a focus group to discuss energy levels before, during and after pregnancy, and the use of iron supplements such as Floradix Iron and Herbs. Four of the five moms in our group had used Floradix previously or were still using it, and one, who is currently pregnant, received Floradix in order to try it out over the course of the focus group. The other four received Floradix after the conclusion of the group as a “thank you” from Floradix.
To read more about how you can join the Mothering Mavens, our private product review program, click here!
Pregnancy and Postpartum: Energy Levels and Iron Supplements
We asked our participants to tell us about their energy level while they were pregnant and postpartum, and the results weren’t surprising: all five of the Mavens reported being exhausted during their pregnancy and postpartum periods.
Four of the five Mavens reported that their healthcare provider or midwife recommended Floradix when they became anemic during pregnancy. Sallyrae17 commented, “They said that it was more readily absorbed by my body and wouldn't make me feel all constipated and gross. They were right!”
While upping your iron levels during pregnancy is important for maternal and fetal health, an increase in energy is a helpful benefit of iron supplementation. Mothering Maven Tenk, who is currently pregnant and taking Floradix, noted, “I have definitely noticed a difference in my energy level.”
Using Iron Supplements: Tips and Tricks
For some pregnant women, it can be hard to keep anything down, much less heavy supplements. Four out of the five Mavens mentioned that the taste of Floradix didn’t bother them while they were pregnant. “If you experience nausea during pregnancy, but are also anemic, this is a great supplement as it doesn't increase your nausea like other vitamins do,” said Sallyrae17.
Some women continue to take Floradix after they have had their baby, or in the postpartum months and years, to replenish much-needed iron and give them an energy boost. Escher noted, “After a long labor and emergency c-section, I took Floradix again as I tried to regain energy. I now take it occasionally, especially if I am feeling run down.”
All five of the Mavens in this focus group reported that they would “Absolutely” or “Probably” recommend Floradix to other women looking for an iron supplement.
A word from Floradix:
Although readily found in nature, iron is poorly absorbed and Floradix Iron & Herbs is specially designed to support healthy iron levels due to its maximum absorption ability.*
- A safe, low dose, organic liquid iron supplement.
- Contains highly soluble iron gluconate as well as herbal extracts, whole food concentrates and co-factors vitamins B and C.
- Fast, easy assimilation.
- Free of additives, alcohol, preservatives, GMO, gluten and lactose.
- Certified Kosher.
- Packaged in environmentally-friendly glass bottles.
- Gentle on the digestive tract and non-constipating.
- Ideal for vegans and vegetarians.
- Recommended by naturopaths and midwives.
- Today Floradix Iron & Herbs is the best-selling natural liquid iron supplement in North America.
- Floradix Iron & Herbs has been clinically proven to effectively normalize low iron levels.*
- Helps renew vitality.*
- Each 20 ml serving satisfies the RDA for women of childbearing age.*
- Beneficial for assisting in proper fetal development.*
- Promotes the formation of healthy red blood cells.*
- Beneficial for pregnant and lactating women, athletes, the elderly and vegetarians or vegans.*
Not Intended As Medical Advice.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- › Aug 2013 Roll Call 26 seconds ago
- › Exciting, Fun Preparations! 4 minutes ago
- › Official bead sign up thread. :) 5 minutes ago
- › Looking for a local midwife for home birth. 7 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April & May 2013! 7 minutes ago
- › Help! Nursing boundaries & nursing during pregnancy 8 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 8 minutes ago
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 9 minutes ago
- › Parent-Infant Classes 12 minutes ago
- › What to do for 3.5 year year old that just lost mom & almost lost... 15 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo