Related Forum Threads
- TTC-Panic cycle Last post on Yesterday at 8:57 pm in Family Planning
- Intro & My Cycle Update Last post on 5/18/13 at 9:34pm in Trying To Conceive
- Want to take pregnancy test! Last post on 5/18/13 at 8:16am in Trying To Conceive
- post-partum cycles Last post on 5/19/13 at 8:46am in Family Planning
- Anyone have HUGE temp rise at 9 dpo and NOT be pregnant? Last post on 5/19/13 at 3:43pm in Family Planning
Struggling with Fertility, a Couple Aborts Healthy Twin Boys...
Edited on 3/1/13
- Is There Ever a Right Time to Get Pregnant?Edited on 3/15/13
- Reasons To Choose Natural Family PlanningEdited on 10/12/11
- Trying To Conceive After A Loss ResourcesEdited on 6/27/11
Alphabetical Article List
Fertility Awareness MethodPosted 11/10/10 • Last updated 08/23/11 • 615 views • 3 commentsThe Fertility Awareness Method, similar to Natural Family Planning, is a method of birth control that uses symptoms including basal body temperature, cervical mucus, and cervical position to detect ovulation and thus allow a couple to abstain or use other protection during potentially fertile times. This is the basic set of rules taught in Toni Weschler's book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.Summary of FAM rules (sympto-thermal)
1) First 5 Days Rule: You are safe the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle if you had an obvious temp shift 12-16 days before.
2) Dry Day Rule: You are safe to DTD after 6PM if you have been dry all day.
Post ovulation rules:
1) Peak Day Rule: The last day of fertile mucus is called the peak day (the day before your mucus begins to dry up). You are safe to DTD on the fourth consecutive day after the peak day. If another patch of more fertile mucus appears, start your count over.
2) Temperature Shift Rule: You are safe the evening of the third consecutive day your temp is above your coverline. If your temp falls at or below the coverline during the 3 day count, begin your count again.
BOTH rules must be satisfied to be considered in your infertile phase.
How to set a coverline:
When you see a temperature shift of at least 0.2° F above the highest of the previous 6 temps, draw a line 0.1° F above that highest temp.
Related Wiki Resources:
Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!
Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!
NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding - You have options in the postpartum period while your fertility is returning!
Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.
Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.
- Is There Ever a Right Time to Get Pregnant?
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 1 minute ago
- › So you have twin babies.... 1 minute ago
- › Need some opinions: working post-partum 2 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April & May 2013! 3 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 3 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 5 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 6 minutes ago
- › Ouch! The whole right side of my abdomen 9 minutes ago
- › Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition 10 minutes ago
- › Gardening! 10 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo