Nothing says LOVE like, um . . . romantic poetry on your refrigerator? Well, sure! And that’s our offering today: a do-it-yourself Valentine-themed magnet poetry kit.
(To download a printable PDF of these instructions and two pages of poetic words, click here.)
What you’ll need
• magnet paper (these are magnetic sheets of “paper” with a printable white surface)
• your inkjet printer (Note: do NOT use magnet paper with a laser printer!)
What to do
1.Download and print out the PDF included here. Check to make sure pages 2 and 3 fit on the page properly. (They should— but it’s always a good idea to run a test before printing onto the magnet paper.)
2. Load the magnet paper into your printer.
3. Print out pages 2 and 3 from the PDF.
4. Cut out each word.
5. Place magnet words in a small box or tin (we like using the little tins that mints are sold in in); and
6. Present to your sweetie!
* * * * *
OR, for bonus points! Make your own personalized magnet kit for a one-of-a-kind gift—using any words you like: the recipient’s name, your name, some of his or her favorite things, words that reference places that are important to you, words that evoke a special memory, song titles, pet names, favorite foods, etc.
Here are some of our suggestions for making a successful poetry kit:
1. Using your computer word-processing software, select an easily readable typeface in a large point size. (We used 24-point Helvetica.)
2. Make the line spacing at least 1.5 or double spaced so you’ll have room above and below to cut.
3. Type in your words. Put 3 or 4 spaces between each word, and hit return when you reach the end of each line to avoid hyphenations.
4. Be sure to include a mix of nouns, verbs, and adjectives. Then add some suffixes like ly, ing, ed, and s to give your poet more flexibility. Don’t forget to add plenty of articles, conjunctions, pronouns (especially I, you, me, we, us!) and prepositions: words like the, it, in, my, your, over, up, on, out, of, for, from, a, an . . . without those little in-between words it can be hard to make sentences!
5. Print out and cut up, following the instructions above.
Now . . . start making beautiful poetry together!
P.S. If you make these, we would love to see some of your poems! Email us at laurat (at) mothering.com
Magnet set created and photographed by Melyssa Holik