Nothing says LOVE like, um . . . romantic poetry on your refrigerator? Well, sure! And that’s our offering today: a do-it-yourself Valentine-themed magnet poetry kit.
What you’ll need
• magnet paper (these are magnetic sheets of “paper” with a printable white surface)
• your inkjet printer (Note: do NOT use magnet paper with a laser printer!)
What to do
2. Load the magnet paper into your printer.
3. Print out pages
4. Cut out each word.
5. Place magnet words in a small box or tin (we like using the little tins that mints are sold in in); and
6. Present to your sweetie!
* * * * *
OR, for bonus points! Make your own personalized magnet kit for a one-of-a-kind gift—using any words you like: the recipient’s name, your name, some of his or her favorite things, words that reference places that are important to you, words that evoke a special memory, song titles, pet names, favorite foods, etc.
Here are some of our suggestions for making a successful poetry kit:
1. Using your computer word-processing software, select an easily readable typeface in a large point size. (We used 24-point Helvetica.)
2. Make the line spacing at least 1.5 or double spaced so you’ll have room above and below to cut.
3. Type in your words. Put 3 or 4 spaces between each word, and hit return when you reach the end of each line to avoid hyphenations.
4. Be sure to include a mix of nouns, verbs, and adjectives. Then add some suffixes like ly, ing, ed, and s to give your poet more flexibility. Don’t forget to add plenty of articles, conjunctions, pronouns (especially I, you, me, we, us!) and prepositions: words like the, it, in, my, your, over, up, on, out, of, for, from, a, an . . . without those little in-between words it can be hard to make sentences!
5. Print out and cut up, following the instructions above.
Now . . . start making beautiful poetry together!
Magnet set created and photographed by Melyssa Holik