Fried Tofu Slices with Cashew Sauce
Crispy tofu with a blast of cashew sauce - a great summer supper!!
2 really large slices of tofu
1 red pepper
A handful of cashew nuts
2 cloves of garlic
2 dessertspoons of soy sauce
1 dessertspoon of lemon juice
A few sprigs of green coriander (cilantro)
1 cup of water
A pinch of chilli powder
- Crush the garlic and mix with the soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Coat the tofu slices with the mixture and leave them to marinate while you pound the cashew nuts and chop the pepper very finely.
- Add the chilli powder, finely chopped pepper and roughly chopped coriander to the cashew paste and mash together.
- Drain the tofu slices but save the marinade.
- Fry the slices in the olive oil for about 5 minutes on each side on a medium heat.
- Lay the slices on a flat serving plate then add the cashew mix to the oil remaining in the pan.
- Fry for two minutes then add the marinade from the tofu plus a cup of water. Simmer for three minutes.
- Some soy sauces are quite salty, so before adding any salt you want to taste it to make sure how much salt (if any) you want to add.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu slices.
Serve with plain boiled rice for a filling meal.