Related Forum Threads
- Does breastfeeding make travel easier? Last post on Yesterday at 3:04 pm in Breastfeeding
- new to breastfeeding.. Last post on 5/18/13 at 11:57pm in Breastfeeding Challenges
- Tips for nursing 18 month old at Disney World in very hot August? Last post on Yesterday at 2:37 pm in Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
- Colic/Foremilk-hindmilk imbalance/possible reflux/food intolerance? Or, is Grandma just super... Last post on 5/15/13 at 12:56pm in Life With a Babe
- Gassy Newborn...could it be what I eat? Last post on 5/17/13 at 12:53pm in Breastfeeding
Why I Breastfeed in Public
Edited on 3/21/13
- Natural Home Remedies for Plugged Ducts and Milk BlebsEdited on 3/18/13
- Tweaking The Conversation About BreastfeedingEdited on 1/30/13
- Help recognizing tongue or lip tie in your babyEdited on 1/28/13
- Holiday time: when family & friends criticise your parenting...Edited on 11/19/12 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
Hospitals' Stamp of Approval
I've been doing quite a bit of reading on historical breastfeeding of late just to give some context to the photographs I have been sharing with you. Thank goodness for Google Book Search or else I wouldn't be able to find as much great information as I have.
This morning I was fixated with a book called Don't Kill Your Baby. Many of you probably know it very well. In fact, I have read it before, but it seems that every time I re-read I find a fact or a point that I've missed before.
I thought this quote was quite telling about how breastfeeding rates began to decline in the 1930s. It all started in the hospitals with their insistence that mothers did now instinctively know how to care for their own babies. This caused many of the mothers to be separated from their babies for up to 24 hours sometimes and in that period their babies had already been introduced to baby formula. Check out this quote about how milk companies got into the hospitals to stake their dominance over infant feeding.
The expectant mother may first hear about PET milk when learning about formula preparations in the hospital's orientation class. She and her husband may select the baby's name from a list supplied by a company medical relations representative. The name card on her baby's crib in the hospital nursery may bear the PET insignia. Most important her baby's first bottle of formula may very well be made with PET brand evaporated milk. The "little things" add up to a convincing acceptance of the PET brand.
Above is the nursery at the Cairns General Hospital at the FSA (Farm Security Administration) farm workers' community in February 1942. Eleven Mile Corner, Arizona.
And here are the babies the bottles are intended for.
Wolf Jacqueline. Don't Kill Your Baby. Columbus: Ohio State University Press, 2001.
- Natural Home Remedies for Plugged Ducts and Milk Blebs
- › Queer parents 1 minute ago
- › ~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ 3 minutes ago
- › At what age does socialization become really important? 8 minutes ago
- › ~+~+~+~+~ May 2013 Chat *~*~*~*~* 12 minutes ago
- › Blacksburg, VA? 36 minutes ago
- › Midwives in Rutland area 39 minutes ago
- › Silly things never to do when pregnant... 1 hour ago
- › Childbirth classes? 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › your thoughts on facebook 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 2 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by SmilinMomma
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11