Related Forum Threads
- Ipad and toddler. Last post on 5/2/13 at 5:21am in Toddlers
- Recommendations for books and magazines for 10 year old Last post on 5/12/13 at 11:49am in Preteens and Teens
- Discovery Girl or American Girl Magazine? Last post on 4/18/13 at 7:58pm in Books, Music and Other Media
- April 2013 Book Challenge Last post on 5/21/13 at 11:25pm in Books, Music and Other Media
- The incredible disappearing magazine... Last post on 4/9/13 at 11:25pm in Books, Music and Other Media
I love Sleep is for the Weak ("the best of the...
Edited on 3/31/13
- Strokes of Genius, Blog EditionEdited on 3/19/13
- Dressing the Kids for Dads and Grads events...Edited on 3/20/13
- My boy
Alphabetical Article List
The first time Liko heard Frances England's first CD, Fascinating Creatures, he stopped dead in his tracks. As the hypnotic first song, "Sometimes," ended, Liko asked, "Who is this?"
"It's Liam's mommy, Frances. Remember her?"
"What do you think of her songs?"
"They're good," he said, and plopped down on the floor. He sat through the entire CD, listening intently.
Weeks later, I put on the CD on and as "Sometimes" started to play, he cried out, "That's my favorite song!"
Weeks after that, I brought Frances's new CD, Family Tree, along on a vacation with another family.
As little kids swarmed around the living room of our vacation house, I put on Family Tree. The commotion stopped and they all stood still, listening.
"Who is this?" asked Jody.
"Our friend Frances. It's her new CD."
"Wow, this is really good."
"I think so."
"It sounds like grown-up music," said her husband Alex. "This reminds me of Sarah McLachlan. Or maybe Nora Jones?"
"I always think of Ricki Lee Jones, Lisa Loeb, and Aimee Mann," I said. "But not as dark."
In fact, the opposite of dark: Mellow, happy, content.
And a few weeks after that, we were playing with our friends Molly and her little boy Linus. I played Family Tree and Molly asked who we were hearing. I told her and mentioned that it was a kid's CD.
"This is tot music?" asked Molly incredulously. "No way."
Fascinating Creatures and Family Tree aren't the only children's CDs we own that also appeal to adults: Justin Roberts rocks, and so do the Sippy Cups. It appears to be something of a movement...music for kids and parents alike, with songs that speak to children's mindsets while remaining creatively interesting and thematically complex.
But even among kiddie-indie (kindie?) rock peers, Frances's music really stands out. These are not so much kid's songs as songs that address family themes: new siblings, playing in the dirt, getting older, all that stuff. Her best songs evoke childlike feelings in adults, while children listening to her music might find their kid's eye view of the world expanding.
You can listen to Fascinating Creatures and buy it here; you can do the same for Family Tree here.
- Strokes of Genius, Blog Edition
- › Need car seat for tall 4 year old 5 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 24th-May 31st~ 6 minutes ago
- › Constipated and Fed up 8 minutes ago
- › The loss of affection 10 minutes ago
- › Crunchy Christian mamas '13 17 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 19 minutes ago
- › Let's have some introductions! 20 minutes ago
- › ~*~October ddc Belly Thread~*~ 20 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 21 minutes ago
- › Vaccine Injury Anecdotes are No Joke 25 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Why We Homeschool by Sheryl Paul
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf