Lactivism Forum Guidelines
Welcome to the Lactivism forum!
Lactivism is breastfeeding activism. It can take many forms including the following examples:
- Working to enact legislation to support breastfeeding mothers and their children
- Educating mothers and mothers-to-be about the benefits of breastfeeding and the disadvantages of elective formula usage
- Demonstrating against those who interfere with the nursing relationship
- Organizing nurse-ins, letter writing campaigns, etc. to educate the general public
The purpose of the Lactivism forum on MDC is to provide a place for lactivists to work together to create positive change. Lactivists can support one another by sharing opportunities for lactivism and brainstorming solutions. We seek to create a place where breastfeeding advocates can critically and respectfully evaluate campaigns, studies and incidents while still upholding the spirit of Mothering. To that end, please keep the following in mind when posting:
- The User Agreement is in effect at all times.
- The purpose of this forum is not to criticize, judge or attack individuals. Name calling is never appropriate. General rants and vents will be discouraged. Please stick to discussing the facts so as to refrain from making potentially defamatory statements or casting suspicion upon people.
- Personal situations that are not calls to action are best placed in the general Breastfeeding or Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy forums and will be moved.
- When posting news articles, please focus on the incident rather on the individual. Please also remember that discussing comments on articles, blogs, etc. is considered discussing other online communities and as such, is against the User Agreement.
- Additionally, please be sure to follow MDC's copyright policy. Articles and other quoted material should be 100 words or less, and you may provide a link or source for the rest. Posting complete laws or press releases is fine. It is never appropriate to post private emails, messages or other communications without the express written permission of the author.
- Whenever possible, public action should be taken with the support and approval of the persons involved in the incident. Nurse-ins, etc, should not be planned without input from the people involved.
- The Lactivism forum is not intended to be a place where our members bash mothers who are formula feeding. It is understandable that lactivists become frustrated over the mainstream formula-feeding culture. Criticizing ideas, campaigns and actions that negatively impact breastfeeding are all acceptable topics in this forum. Name calling, criticizing individuals or attacking women who choose to formula feed are not.
- Mothering Magazine and MDC have a strong commitment to the World Health Organization’s International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes, which recognizes that advertising formula reduces the number of children that are breastfed and the duration of breastfeeding. The purpose of the Code is "contribute to the provision of safe and adequate nutrition for infants, by the protection and promotion of breast-feeding, and by ensuring the proper use of breast-milk substitutes, when these are necessary, on the basis of adequate information and through appropriate marketing and distribution." Keeping this in mind, advocating formula feeding by choice is not permitted on the Lactivism board or any other forum at MDC. Additionally, advocating the redistribution or sale of formula coupons, samples or other freebies is not permitted.
MDC's Lactivism forum has been an agent for positive change in the past and with your help, will continue to do so in the years to come. Please PM a forum moderator or an administrator with any questions regarding the forum's guidelines or purpose. Thank you for your commitment to supporting breastfeeding mothers and babies!