Labor Skills for Life's Tough Moments
Edited on 4/21/13
- 5 Elements for Healthy LivingEdited on 4/15/13
- Three 5-Minute Fixes for Holiday StressEdited on 11/28/12
- Can You Still Do Yoga Now That You Have Kids?
- topicBody And Soul
Alphabetical Article List
By Brenda-Fay Glik
“What’s your favorite body part?” I ask, delighting in the sway of her, sweet as sunrise. I expect the usual response of a female, even one only seven years old, who is under the spell of a culture preoccupied with appearances that appraises her body by its shape and beauty.
She thinks, then asks, “What’s your favorite part, Mommy?”
Unprepared, I peruse my body in my mind, of course drawn to the parts I most reject, especially my breasts. Too small, way too small. No matter how many times and ways I look in the mirror, they are never enough—and yet they nursed my precious babes for years. Who can explain such absurd disapproval?
I stop my mind’s eye from traveling down to my postpartum distended belly and turn to think of what I do like. My hair? Not lately. With a gasp, I break my trance of body dissection, wounded by the blade of self-judgment piercing such a golden temple. I turn to my only daughter, her innocence beaming the birth of a whole world as she waits for me to speak.
Finally, inside my own body, I find a lens polished as the sky. My answer snaps up like a window shade. “My hands are my favorite, because they hold your hand and braid your hair. They build and cook, write and dance. These hands lift you up and caress your face.”
“Wow!” she says, turning her hands with wonder. “Hands are great!”
“Your turn,” I say.
She smiles up at me with blueberry eyes, her face alive with decision. “My eyes are my favorite, Mommy, ’cause without my eyes, I couldn’t see you.”
Brenda-Fay Glik, EdD, LPC, is a poet, counselor, and mother of two. She is the author
of two books of poetry, Come With Me and Where the River Runs Wild.
- 5 Elements for Healthy Living
- › Recent Ken Robinson TED Talk 4 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 5 minutes ago
- › Wanting to start using cloth wipes 6 minutes ago
- › Cloth diapering and traveling 7 minutes ago
- › Exciting, Fun Preparations! 7 minutes ago
- › cloth diaper feedback needed... 7 minutes ago
- › How would you deal with this bilingual child's issue? 8 minutes ago
- › Stillbirth Support in Charleston/ Summerville 8 minutes ago
- › Swimming in toys but they play with it all 9 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat --May 20-26 10 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo