Labor Skills for Life's Tough Moments
Edited on 4/21/13
- 5 Elements for Healthy LivingEdited on 4/15/13
- Three 5-Minute Fixes for Holiday StressEdited on 11/28/12
- Can You Still Do Yoga Now That You Have Kids?
- topicBody And Soul
Alphabetical Article List
By Brenda-Fay Glik
“What’s your favorite body part?” I ask, delighting in the sway of her, sweet as sunrise. I expect the usual response of a female, even one only seven years old, who is under the spell of a culture preoccupied with appearances that appraises her body by its shape and beauty.
She thinks, then asks, “What’s your favorite part, Mommy?”
Unprepared, I peruse my body in my mind, of course drawn to the parts I most reject, especially my breasts. Too small, way too small. No matter how many times and ways I look in the mirror, they are never enough—and yet they nursed my precious babes for years. Who can explain such absurd disapproval?
I stop my mind’s eye from traveling down to my postpartum distended belly and turn to think of what I do like. My hair? Not lately. With a gasp, I break my trance of body dissection, wounded by the blade of self-judgment piercing such a golden temple. I turn to my only daughter, her innocence beaming the birth of a whole world as she waits for me to speak.
Finally, inside my own body, I find a lens polished as the sky. My answer snaps up like a window shade. “My hands are my favorite, because they hold your hand and braid your hair. They build and cook, write and dance. These hands lift you up and caress your face.”
“Wow!” she says, turning her hands with wonder. “Hands are great!”
“Your turn,” I say.
She smiles up at me with blueberry eyes, her face alive with decision. “My eyes are my favorite, Mommy, ’cause without my eyes, I couldn’t see you.”
Brenda-Fay Glik, EdD, LPC, is a poet, counselor, and mother of two. She is the author
of two books of poetry, Come With Me and Where the River Runs Wild.
- 5 Elements for Healthy Living
- › Finally Delurking 3 minutes ago
- › Belly Pictures 6 minutes ago
- › More than 50% of the time, Rude, Moody, Mean ELEVEN Year old Girl. 6 minutes ago
- › 16mo still wakes rubbing face 6 minutes ago
- › Early Intervention for speech 7 minutes ago
- › The dating thread! 8 minutes ago
- › ~+~+~+~+~ May 2013 Chat *~*~*~*~* 9 minutes ago
- › Ear piercing and Tetanus 10 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chat Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Spring IVF 2013 15 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by SmilinMomma
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11