Related Forum Threads
- Adiana for permanent birth control? Last post on 1/17/13 at 6:17pm in Family Planning
- Pain/tenderness on back of head near bottom of skull Last post on 12/1/12 at 1:13pm in Health and Healing
- Fevers: Is it normal for my dd to get fevers within 3 weeks of each other? Last post on Today at 10:50 pm in Health and Healing
- Lump in groin/lymph area? Last post on Today at 2:53 pm in Health and Healing
- Recurrent Corneal Erosion Last post on Today at 3:03 pm in Health and Healing
Sitting or Squatting: What's Really Best in the Bathroom?
Edited on 4/11/13
- How volunteers are helping to reduce child malnutrition in southern...Edited on 12/27/12
- In southern Yemen, the IRC helps rebuild a health clinic amid...Edited on 12/21/12
- Tiny Cold, Big Solution: How Homeopathy Can Help During Cold SeasonEdited on 10/25/12
- Action Alert: Help Planned Parenthood Keep Federal Funding to...Edited on 2/27/11 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
A place to collect all those little tidbits about the various mood neurotransmitters, and which ones do what. Very VERY much a work in progress! Sources linked at the bottom
not summarized yet:
regulates many other processes such as carbohydrate cravings, sleep cycle, pain control and appropriate digestion.
decreased immune system function
mood to anxiety to sleep to sexual response to food craving and (in)digestion
happiness, satisfaction and relaxation
Low serotonin levels may lead to depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety, and panic disorders.
regulates dopamine release (high serotonin-low dopamine)
low mood, compulsions, anxiousness, and headaches.
both excitatory and inhibitory
main focus neurotransmitter. When dopamine is either elevated or low – we can have focus issues such as not remembering where we put our keys, forgetting what a paragraph said when we just finished reading it or simply daydreaming and not being able to stay on task.
pleasure as well as delusions, psychosis, and drug abuse
Dopamine in the caudate nucleus facilitates posture, whereas dopamine in the nucleus accumbens is associated with an animal's speed (and pleasure).
motivates to desire pleasurable activities like eating, kissing, novel experiences, movement control, memory, problem solving, attention
love, pleasure, drive
helps control movement, emotions, and the ability to focus attention on a task
A relative deficit in dopamine maturity would be concordant with an increased impulsivity and increased reward threshold seen in ADHD
pleasure/reward pathway (addiction and thrills), memory, and motor control
low dopamine levels are loss of motor control, addictions, cravings, compulsions, and loss of satisfaction
regulate excitability and anxiety, panic, and stress
Depressed individuals have decreased GABA in their cerebral spinal fluid and plasma
GABA levels rise when the citric acid cycle activity is low (ie, when cell energy usage is low)
helps regulate relaxation and sleep
thought to have a role in bipolar disorder
One of the damaging effects of mercury poisoning is swelling of astrocytes, which are rendered unable to soak-up glutamine from synapses (contributing to excitotoxicity).
- Direct innervation of skeletal muscles is due to acetylcholine, as is the innervation of smooth muscles of the parasympathetic nervous system.
- learning, memory, dreaming
- can cause ANXIETY at elevated excretion levels as well as some “MOOD DAMPENING” effects. Low levels of norepinephrine are associated with LOW ENERGY, DECREASED FOCUS ability and sleep cycle problems.
- believed to play a role in cognition, mood, emotions, movement, and blood pressure. Difficulty concentrating, fatigue, apathy, and depression are some of the things that can result from norepinephrine going AWOL.
normally involved in vigilance and wakefulness; however, high levels of norepinephrine can reduce the rate of information processing and reduce attentiveness
enhance memory formation
modulates neuron voltage potentials to favor glutamate activity and neurotransmitter firing
http://www.healthyplace.com/alternative-mental-health/adhd/what-causes-adhd/menu-id-55/ (also talks about norepinephrine biosynthesis)
The primary neurotransmitters involved in stress, anxiety, depression and aggression include:
- Stress – dopamine, nor-adrenaline, serotonin and acetylcholine
- Anxiety – serotonin, GABA, opiods
- Depression – serotonin, opiods and dopamine
- Aggression – serotonin, GABA.
- How volunteers are helping to reduce child malnutrition in southern...
- › Fevers: Is it normal for my dd to get fevers within 3 weeks of each... 14 minutes ago
- › April 2013 Chat Thread 33 minutes ago
- › we have such a hard time stopping/leaving activities. I am so... 34 minutes ago
- › never thought it could happen to me 40 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 42 minutes ago
- › Make & Shake Workshop followed by a Festive show! 43 minutes ago
- › how soon can you know if you have a prolapse 45 minutes ago
- › Any Single Mamas Who Choose Not to Date? 46 minutes ago
- › Proposed rule changes to Az midwifery taking away mother's rigth to... 48 minutes ago
- › Stripes? 58 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11