Related Forum Threads
- If you have used fenugreek or some other type of lactation herb..... Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:38pm in Breastfeeding
Hyland's - What Can I Use for My Teething Child?
Edited on 11/2/10
- Whooping CoughEdited on 9/27/12
- Managing Asthma with Natural MedicineEdited on 3/30/13
- Bonding Therapy for AsthmaEdited on 7/10/11
- Understanding Your Child’s Tooth Decay: Where Modern...Edited on 2/5/13 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
Natural Parenting Toolbox: Common Herbs for Children
Here are some common herbs and their health benefits for children:
Aloe vera: heals burns and wounds (used externally).
Arnica: good for bumps and bruises (used externally).
Astragalus: builds strengthens the immune system.
Calendula: soothes skin irritations, burns, diaper rash (used externally).
California poppy: calming; used in children's nighttime formulas.
Catnip: calming, digestive aid; used for colic, sleeplessness,minor fevers.
Chamomile: a digestive aid and calming agent.
Comfrey: good for skin irritations, inflammations (should not be taken internally).
Echinacea: stimulates the immune system (best taken at the first signs of an illness).
Fennel: digestive aid; used for stomachache, gas, colic.
Feverfew: relieves fever and pain.
Garlic: antiviral, immune support (best taken raw).
Ginger: relieves nausea; anti-inflammatory.
Hops: sedative; hops flowers placed in a pillowcase make a good sleep aid for restless children.
Licorice: soothes sore throats, eases hay fever; antiviral.
Marshmallow root: immune support; demulcent (soothes inflamed mucus membranes).
Mullein: demulcent, expectorant; used for sore throats, coughs, asthma.
Peppermint: warming, digestive, antiviral.
St. John's Wort: antidepressant, antiviral; used externally on minor injuries and ear infections.
Thyme: expectorant, antibacterial.
Valerian: sedative; relieves insomnia, hyperactivity.
Wild cherry bark: treats coughs; used in many cough syrups.
Yarrow: anti-inflammatory, promotes sweating; relieves fevers, can be used in baths to relieve chicken pox or poison ivy.
- Whooping Cough
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 4 minutes ago
- › Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition 4 minutes ago
- › Best Gift Ideas For Father On Father's Day 7 minutes ago
- › 18 year old slob 8 minutes ago
- › End of school year -- feeling sad about saying good bye to the kids... 10 minutes ago
- › You are a good mom 14 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 23 minutes ago
- › HCG diet SUPPORT thread 26 minutes ago
- › Third Trimester Joys+Woes 35 minutes ago
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 44 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11