Related Forum Threads
- If you have used fenugreek or some other type of lactation herb..... Last post on 10/6/12 at 8:38pm in Breastfeeding
Hyland's - What Can I Use for My Teething Child?
Edited on 11/2/10
- Whooping CoughEdited on 9/27/12
- Managing Asthma with Natural MedicineEdited on 3/30/13
- Bonding Therapy for AsthmaEdited on 7/10/11
- Understanding Your Child’s Tooth Decay: Where Modern...Edited on 2/5/13 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
Natural Parenting Toolbox: Common Herbs for Children
Here are some common herbs and their health benefits for children:
Aloe vera: heals burns and wounds (used externally).
Arnica: good for bumps and bruises (used externally).
Astragalus: builds strengthens the immune system.
Calendula: soothes skin irritations, burns, diaper rash (used externally).
California poppy: calming; used in children's nighttime formulas.
Catnip: calming, digestive aid; used for colic, sleeplessness,minor fevers.
Chamomile: a digestive aid and calming agent.
Comfrey: good for skin irritations, inflammations (should not be taken internally).
Echinacea: stimulates the immune system (best taken at the first signs of an illness).
Fennel: digestive aid; used for stomachache, gas, colic.
Feverfew: relieves fever and pain.
Garlic: antiviral, immune support (best taken raw).
Ginger: relieves nausea; anti-inflammatory.
Hops: sedative; hops flowers placed in a pillowcase make a good sleep aid for restless children.
Licorice: soothes sore throats, eases hay fever; antiviral.
Marshmallow root: immune support; demulcent (soothes inflamed mucus membranes).
Mullein: demulcent, expectorant; used for sore throats, coughs, asthma.
Peppermint: warming, digestive, antiviral.
St. John's Wort: antidepressant, antiviral; used externally on minor injuries and ear infections.
Thyme: expectorant, antibacterial.
Valerian: sedative; relieves insomnia, hyperactivity.
Wild cherry bark: treats coughs; used in many cough syrups.
Yarrow: anti-inflammatory, promotes sweating; relieves fevers, can be used in baths to relieve chicken pox or poison ivy.
- Whooping Cough
- › Wanting to start using cloth wipes 3 minutes ago
- › Life of Fred - Question about starting as a 4th grader. 3 minutes ago
- › I need insight about my teen's sexuality 4 minutes ago
- › Anyone else have a kid with RAD? 5 minutes ago
- › All cotton diapers that last like Motherease..BabeeGreens? 10 minutes ago
- › 52 Project Challenge, 2013 12 minutes ago
- › weekly thread May 20-26 15 minutes ago
- › Holding Baby Too Much?! 18 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April & May 2013! 23 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 23 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Why We Homeschool by Sheryl Paul
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf