Related Forum Threads
- The benefits and risks of freezing your eggs Last post on 6/7/13 at 1:19pm in Natural Parenting News and Current Events
- Severely Engorged Breasts - Help! Last post on 6/10/13 at 9:07pm in Breastfeeding Challenges
- Help Me Help A New Mom With Never Ending BFing-Formula debate cycle. Last post on 6/10/13 at 2:37pm in Parenting
- Copper coli side effects Last post on 6/6/13 at 6:54pm in Family Planning
- nipple shield Last post on 6/9/13 at 1:18pm in Breastfeeding
Who’s your daddy?
Edited on 6/6/13
- Single Motherhood by Choice: Going it SoloEdited on 5/29/13
- I Got My Period...I Got My POWER!Edited on 3/25/13
- Why I Breastfeed in PublicEdited on 3/21/13
- Natural Home Remedies for Plugged Ducts and Milk BlebsEdited on 3/18/13 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
NFP or FAM Methods While Breastfeeding
Lactational Amenorrhea Method - can be used for 6 months or until your first postpartum bleed after 56 days postpartum. 98-99% effective. Lactational Amenorrhea may continue past 6 months, but the effectiveness of depending on it to prevent pregnancy is reduced. Must use a different method after the return of menstruation.
Ecological Breastfeeding - close to 100% effective in the first 3 months, 99% effective in the second 3 months, 94% effective before your first postpartum bleed after 56 days postpartum. Must use a different method after the return of menstruation.
Georgetown University's Postpartum Guidelines - Calendar-based postpartum guidelines. Can be used from before the return of menstruation until cycles regulate enough to use the Standard Days Method (SDM), or another method is chosen. If following the minimum standard with perfect use, it is theoretically 97% effective.
Marquette Method's Breastfeeding Guidelines - Uses the Clearblue Fertility Monitor (CBFM) to predict ovulation. Marquette University has developed breastfeeding guidelines for using the CBFM even before menstruation has returned and continuing through the return to normal fertility and combines well with other methods.
Systematic Charting - Chart cervical mucus (CM). You are unlikely to conceive if you consider yourself to be potentially fertile on days that you have CM until the evening of the 4th day of dry-up after each Peak day. Normally, there is enough CM before ovulation, especially postpartum, to warn you that ovulation is coming. Charting temperature can confirm ovulation but not predict it postpartum. (see resources for more information on learning to chart)
Related Wiki Resources:
Reasons to Choose Natural Family Planning - Why would you want to use charting to plan your family, anyway? Feel free to add your own reasons for charting!
Types of Natural Family Planning - It's not just the rhythm method. They've got this down to a science with options galore!
Resources For Learning About Fertility Cycles - Find books to read or websites to visit, find an instructor, post your chart online, and learn about how your diet affects your fertility.
Fertility Awareness Method - A quick-start guide to the Fertility Awareness, a version of the Sympto-Thermal Method taught by Toni Weschler in her book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.
Common Abbreviations for Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness - BBT, EWCM, TCOYF, and more! Learn what all these crazy acronyms mean here.
- Single Motherhood by Choice: Going it Solo
- › vaccines are great 2 minutes ago
- › Argh!! My skin!! 2 minutes ago
- › What did you do today to get ready for your upcoming move (in the... 3 minutes ago
- › Dingoes running into the summer sunshine -- June! 5 minutes ago
- › What clothing for a winter baby? 7 minutes ago
- › (tmi) Spotting with pooping? 15 minutes ago
- › IPV and varicella - skip the last dose? 15 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC-Flower Moon 26 minutes ago
- › Motherease cotton terry vs organic durability-any use both? I need... 28 minutes ago
- › What nappys do you use at night time? 39 minutes ago
- › Naturekins Leak Proof Reusable Nursing Pads by mom2threegrls
- › Bug Band Insect Repellent Wristbands - Blue by MinneapolisMama
- › Burt's Bees Baby Bee SPF 30 Sunscreen Stick, 0.7 Ounce by lamjenifer
- › Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Baby Head-to-Toe Wash & Shampoo -... by glassesgirlnj
- › Aveeno Cleansing baby shampoo by fayebond
- › Aveeno Soothing Oat Baby Wash by fayebond
- › Earth Mama Body Butter - 8oz by fayebond
- › Maclaren Beginning Travel Kit for Mother by fayebond
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by lightbulb
- › Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray by fayebond
- › Ouch! How Homeopathy Can Help With Those... by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathic Help for Post-Partum Mothers: a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Adding the Second Child by Sarah Clark
- › 5 Steps for Managing Stress and Anxiety by Melanie Mayo
- › What Marketers Don't Understand About... by Melanie Mayo
- › For the Dads by Rachel Wolf
- › What Happened When This Bereaved Mom Sought A... by momofnatasha
- › More About Soothing Small Tummies from... by Melanie Mayo
- › Get Ready To Read By Playing by Melanie Mayo
- › "Do You Trust Me?" by SantoshaMama