For every fifty bottle-feeding photographs I come across, I run into about three breastfeeding photos; they're really that rare. But on occasion I do stumble upon breastfeeding photos that catch my attention, but I cannot tell whether a mother is actually nursing or not. So, I am enlisting you to help me with a little detective work. Are these moms breastfeeding in public? By the way, you can click to enlarge each photo for better viewing.
In this first photograph I am almost certain that I have finally found a picture of a black woman nursing in public. But I am not one hundred percent sure.
Then, I found another photo of the same scene where I think the photographer blotted out the mother's breast with a white strip. This makes me think she was definitely breastfeeding. What do you think?
Then, I found this picture over the weekend. The photographer's caption reads: Tired mothers and tired children at the end of the Halloween party at Shafter migrant camp, California. 1938 Nov.
I think this mother is breastfeeding in public because look at the little boy on the right -- he's so into what's going on, and so is the other mother in the back. (Okay, maybe this one is a stretch. But the picture was taken by Dorothea Lange and she has taken two NIP (Nursing in Public) pictures I've shown before.) What do you think?
Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division Washington, DC 20540 Reproduction Numbers: LC-USF34-018554-D DLC, LC-USF33-021255-M1 DLC, LC-USF33-006099-M2 DLC
Currently, there are 1315 Active Users (73 Members and 1242 Guests)
- › best butter oil/FCLO flavor??? 5 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 6 minutes ago
- › December chat - those still hanging around! 8 minutes ago
- › Who's wearing maternity clothes? 14 minutes ago
- › Are you a product of a SAH parent? 26 minutes ago
- › Welcome! Come introduce yourself! 27 minutes ago
- › Into the 2nd Trimester! 28 minutes ago
- › Who is doing hypnobirthing?? 28 minutes ago
- › What is your word for nursing? 31 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 31 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo