On the day after the 2006 elections, I wrote about my cousin Stephen, a captain who had left the Air Force because of the toll frequent wartime deployments took on him and his family.
When I spoke to Stephen and his wife, both conservative Christians, they were clearly weary and demoralized, but happy to be out of the service and starting the next chapter of their life.
But things have gone poorly since then.
Stephen was unable to find work that allowed him to support his family and still be the involved dad that he wants to be; as I understand it, the best job he could get was as a commercial pilot, which took him away from his wife and two children for long periods of time. Even that job apparently disappeared, though I don't know the details.
Earlier this week, my mother told me that Stephen has decided to rejoin the Air Force; as she describes it, he had no choice. He was a jobless father and vet in an economy that is in the process of falling apart. The Air Force, which he seemed to hate by the end, is apparently the only option he has left.
And that, to me, is our country's crisis in a nutshell. It's heartbreaking.
30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes to Brighten Your Day
Last edited: 4/17/14
- Finding My Tribe After the Death of My DaughterLast edited: 4/17/14
- The Worry and Wonderment of ParentingLast edited: 4/14/14
- 5 Inspiring Story Lists in Celebration of International...Last edited: 4/2/14
- Sara McKenna Speaks Out About Her Custody Battle with Bode MillerLast edited: 4/1/14 More ›
- topicFamily Lifetagged by AdinaL, 4/8/13
Alphabetical Article List
- Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter
Currently, there are 1545 Active Users (70 Members and 1475 Guests)
- › Word Association Conga Line 6 seconds ago
- › The Fitness and Activity Thread! 6 minutes ago
- › Confessions 7 minutes ago
- › Wanting But Waiting 2014 20 minutes ago
- › Why Is Jenny McCarthy Dangerous? 23 minutes ago
- › Teething help!, 33 minutes ago
- › SAHM artists? 36 minutes ago
- › Lets talk COFFEE... 38 minutes ago
- › Names yet? 41 minutes ago
- › looking for a quality clothes drying line -- advice? 43 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness