On the day after the 2006 elections, I wrote about my cousin Stephen, a captain who had left the Air Force because of the toll frequent wartime deployments took on him and his family.
When I spoke to Stephen and his wife, both conservative Christians, they were clearly weary and demoralized, but happy to be out of the service and starting the next chapter of their life.
But things have gone poorly since then.
Stephen was unable to find work that allowed him to support his family and still be the involved dad that he wants to be; as I understand it, the best job he could get was as a commercial pilot, which took him away from his wife and two children for long periods of time. Even that job apparently disappeared, though I don't know the details.
Earlier this week, my mother told me that Stephen has decided to rejoin the Air Force; as she describes it, he had no choice. He was a jobless father and vet in an economy that is in the process of falling apart. The Air Force, which he seemed to hate by the end, is apparently the only option he has left.
And that, to me, is our country's crisis in a nutshell. It's heartbreaking.
The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting
Last edited: 4/14/14
- 5 Inspiring Story Lists in Celebration of International...Last edited: 4/2/14
- Sara McKenna Speaks Out About Her Custody Battle with Bode MillerLast edited: 4/1/14
- Five Things I Want My Daughters To Know
- topicFamily Lifetagged by AdinaL, 4/8/13
Alphabetical Article List
- 5 Inspiring Story Lists in Celebration of International...
Currently, there are 1885 Active Users (41 Members and 1844 Guests)
- › Former Merck doctor - Gardasil will be the biggest scandal in... 2 minutes ago
- › Best Age Gap Between Kids? 3 minutes ago
- › fun thread - let's make a list 7 minutes ago
- › self-removal of IUD question 12 minutes ago
- › Is anyone else having spotting? 13 minutes ago
- › pregnancy announcements 15 minutes ago
- › learning math facts 25 minutes ago
- › Sometimes I get so appalled with society 58 minutes ago
- › A New Year of Dedicated Home Yoga Practice: 2014 59 minutes ago
- › Recomendations on a Midwife for Homebirth in Towson/Baltimore? 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool
- › Mayim Bialik Opens Up About Her Breastfeeding... by Melanie Mayo
- › Freedom Together: Mothering Mavens Try Out... by Melanie Mayo
- › Magic Under the Table by BrainChild
- › So Precious It Hurts by Sheryl Paul
- › Is Your Child Ready to Read? A Checklist by Melanie Mayo