On the day after the 2006 elections, I wrote about my cousin Stephen, a captain who had left the Air Force because of the toll frequent wartime deployments took on him and his family.
When I spoke to Stephen and his wife, both conservative Christians, they were clearly weary and demoralized, but happy to be out of the service and starting the next chapter of their life.
But things have gone poorly since then.
Stephen was unable to find work that allowed him to support his family and still be the involved dad that he wants to be; as I understand it, the best job he could get was as a commercial pilot, which took him away from his wife and two children for long periods of time. Even that job apparently disappeared, though I don't know the details.
Earlier this week, my mother told me that Stephen has decided to rejoin the Air Force; as she describes it, he had no choice. He was a jobless father and vet in an economy that is in the process of falling apart. The Air Force, which he seemed to hate by the end, is apparently the only option he has left.
And that, to me, is our country's crisis in a nutshell. It's heartbreaking.
To Santa or Not To Santa
Last edited: 12/4/13
- Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural Addition to my Treatment...Last edited: 12/2/13
- Does Motherhood Matter Anymore?Last edited: 12/1/13
- What's the Rush?
- topicFamily Lifetagged by AdinaL, 4/8/13
Alphabetical Article List
- Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural Addition to my Treatment...
Currently, there are 962 Active Users (48 Members and 914 Guests)
- › SIL wont let my kids see her newborn 6 minutes ago
- › Dinner - What Are You Having? 12 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 13 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 23 minutes ago
- › Am I overreacting? 24 minutes ago
- › goals for 2014 31 minutes ago
- › Brining a turkey in kombucha how long should I let it ferment? 34 minutes ago
- › Announcing the News 37 minutes ago
- › July's Jubilantly Jovial DDC Roster 40 minutes ago
- › Beta/HCG levels 42 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo