Parenting Forum Guidelines
Welcome to MDC's Parenting forum. The Parenting forum was designed to host general parenting-related discussion not covered by the other forums.
In an effort to better maintain a supportive, helpful community, we have composed some posting guidelines and reminders of how the MDC Rules/User Agreement is applied:
- A variety of parenting perspectives is presented in this forum. Our membership is diverse, but we share a basic foundation of respect for the needs and rights of the child. Our forum serves an online community of parents considering, learning and practicing attachment parenting and natural family living. Our discussions on the boards are about the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support and information.
- Please avoid negative characterizations, insults, blanket statements, condemnations of others, etc. Members are welcome to post seeking advice, opinions or suggestions on how best to handle conflict, and we welcome posts about changing attitudes as a whole and how to deal with differing views. Venting is understandable, however, we will discourage bashing. Threads/posts that are inflammatory, hurtful or disrespectful will be removed. We are here to discuss our personal parenting paths, not to bash others who may chose differently. We advocate compassionate and respectful approaches to parenting challenges. We hope that a parent who posts looking for information and support will be empathetically received and helped so that the child behind the posts will benefit in a very real way.
- Parenting is not a support-only forum, but posts are expected to be respectful at all times. The basic rule of internet discussions is "Debate the post, not the poster." Please see our Web Statement of Purpose:Quote:
Mothering celebrates the experience of parenthood as worthy of one's best efforts and fosters awareness of the immense importance and value of family life in the development of the full human potential of parents and children. At Mothering we recognize parents as experts and seek to provide truly helpful information upon which parents can make informed choices. Mothering is both a fierce advocate of the needs and rights of the child and a gentle supporter of the parents, and we encourage decision-making that considers the needs of all family members. We explore the reality of human relationships in the family setting, recognizing that raising the heirs of our civilization well is the prerequisite for a healthy society.
Mothering advocates natural family living, including the ancient way of being with babies and children that is known today as attachment parenting. This way is reliant on the inherent integrity of children and the inviolate intuition of parents. The family is the dominion of parents and children and authoritative knowledge rests with them. This website is a place to safely explore all the aspects involved in such a parenting philosophy.
- We have a variety of age-specific Parenting subforums. If your discussion or question is age-specific please post in the appropriate forum. MDC members discuss many topics that may overlap Parenting: breastfeeding, cloth diapering, gentle discipline, green living, nighttime parenting, health and healing, etc. We do ask that threads not specifically related to general Parenting be posted in the relevant forums that already exist for these topics. Please see the main forum list here. Threads belonging in other forums may be moved with a Reminder given (a notekeeping formality worth 0 points). Repeated off-topic threads will result in an Alert. Threads started by new members that belong in a restricted forum such as Parents as Partners or Talk Amongst Ourselves will be removed and a copy sent to the member for future use or they may be reposted if reframed from a parenting perspective or reposted in Personal Growth if it's a personal or emotional issue for the parent (such as anger, dealing with past abuse, etc).
- Please use caution with sarcasm. Sarcasm skirts the "making a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members" aspect of the User Agreement and typically inflames the discussion rather than contributes.
- When you assert something as either fact or your opinion, not everyone will agree. An opinion different from your own is not, in and of itself, a violation of the UA. Personal disagreements need to be taken to the private messaging system (PM) to keep discussion on track. Personal attacks and other User Agreement violations should be reported rather than addressed on a thread itself.
- Tribe threads hosted in Parenting are support-only.
- Please note we are not currently hosting News or Current Events unless the topic is specifically relevant to Parenting. Discussion must be about the parenting topic rather than the individual newsmakers/event. Please see more information here.
Please PM a moderator with any questions. Thank you so much