Related Forum Threads
- urgent help needed post surgery nursing strike Last post on 5/7/13 at 7:38pm in Breastfeeding Challenges
- Very low supply on one side Last post on 4/9/13 at 6:55pm in Breastfeeding Challenges
- How many TOTAL months have you breastfed? Last post on Today at 4:43 am in Breastfeeding
- babe led weaning, vegetarian Last post on 6/12/12 at 4:15pm in Life With a Babe
- Complaint about Montreal's Virgin Radio Last post on 10/14/11 at 1:29pm in Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
Ban the Bags
Edited on 10/27/10
- 2012: Breastfeeding Awareness YearEdited on 9/10/12
- What is a Baby Friendly Hospital?Edited on 11/3/12
- Hospital Formula Sampling: What You Can DoEdited on 11/3/12
- Natural Home Remedies for Plugged Ducts and Milk BlebsEdited on 3/18/13 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
Romney Is Not a Friend of BreastfeedingPosted 11/04/12 • Last updated 11/05/12 • 7298 views • 26 comments
By Peggy O'Mara
In December 2005, thanks to the hard work of Marsha Walker and The Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition, the Massachusetts legislature became the first in the US to prohibit the distribution of formula sample bags in hospitals. However, then Governor Mitt Romney pressured the Public Health Council to rescind the ban.
The council successfully resisted his pressure until he fired and replaced three members just prior to a vote on the ban; in May 2006 it was rescinded. Less than two weeks later, Romney announced a $66 million deal with Bristol-Myers, the world’s largest formula manufacturer, to build a pharmaceutical plant in Devens, Massachusetts.
In June of that year, Massachusetts state representative Helen Stanley (D-Second Essex) introduced House Bill 2257 to protect a new mother’s right to receive formula sample bags in the hospital. The wesbite, momsfeedingfreedom.com—created to oppose the Massachusetts ban—hosted a petition in support of this bill.
At the time, the website, momsfeedingfreedom.com, was registered to eNilsson, an international web consulting firm whose clients included Romney for President. Now it openly states that it “was made possible by a grant from the International Formula Council. “A mirror site, babyfeedingchoice.org, is copyrighted by the International Formula Council.
The good news is that as of July 1, 2012, all 49 Massachusetts hospitals are voluntarily bag free and Massashusetts joins Rhode Island with its seven hospitals as one of two bag-free states. Seventeen hospitals in Portland, Oregon are also voluntarily bag free.
According to Marsha Walker, who monitors the distribution of formula samples in health care facilities, there are currently 643 bag free hospitals and birth centers in the US.
Peggy O’Mara founded Mothering.com in 1995 and is currently its editor-in chief. She was the editor and publisher of Mothering Magazine from 1980 to 2011. The author of Having a Baby Naturally; Natural Family Living; The Way Back Home; and A Quiet Place, Peggy has lectured and conducted workshops at Omega Institute, Esalen, La Leche League International, and Bioneers. She is the mother of four.
- 2012: Breastfeeding Awareness Year
- › Hello Everyone 3 minutes ago
- › What is your favorite go-to meal? Healthy and easy? 6 minutes ago
- › Low Blood pressure? 7 minutes ago
- › Foster/Adopt need advice PLEASE!!! 9 minutes ago
- › Win a Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow!! 15 minutes ago
- › Overweight children - is it parental neglect? 16 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chat Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Columbus OH homebirth mamas (and papas) 20 minutes ago
- › Feeling better already? 20 minutes ago
- › Ovulation Due Date vs. Ultrasound 21 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Why We Homeschool by Sheryl Paul
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf