$5 Meal Ideas
Edited on 12/18/12
- QuinoaEdited on 7/23/12
- Pan-fried Tofu and Collards with Cashew Ginger DrizzleEdited on 4/19/12
- Cilantro Crusted ChickenEdited on 8/15/12
- Bloomin' Tuesday: Integrating Raw, & Sesame Noodles RecipeEdited on 2/25/13 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
By Cathe Olson
This delicious Greek pie will give you your daily dose of greens and more. It is very easy to make so you may want to make an extra to freeze. The Fillo Factory makes organic, vegan phyllo dough with no hydrogenated oils. It comes in unbleached white flour, spelt and whole wheat varieties and is available at many natural foods stores and supermarkets.
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh spinach, washed and chopped (about 10 cups)
2 eggs 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
Black pepper to taste
8 sheets phyllo dough, preferably whole grain
Olive oil for brushing dough
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Warm oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and saut? 2 minutes, or until soft. Add spinach to pan. (It looks like a lot of spinach but just pack it in. It will cook down.) Cover pan and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Transfer to a colander and let it drain.
In bowl, beat eggs and dill. Stir in cheese and spinach. Season with black pepper. You can add sea salt but the salt from the feta is usually enough for me.
Set up your work station. Unwrap phyllo dough and cover it with a damp towel. Pour some olive oil into a bowl and get a pastry brush. Lightly brush a 10-inch pie or tart pan with olive oil. Place a sheet of phyllo in pan. Brush lightly with oil. Place a second sheet over the first but position it so the corners don't match up. Brush with oil. Repeat until you have four layers of phyllo. Spread the spinach filling evenly in pan. Turn the corners of the phyllo dough over filling. Layer 4 more sheets of phyllo over filling, brushing each piece with oil as before. Tuck corners under pie. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings
Kale and Spinach Spanakopita - Substitute kale for up to 1/2 of the spinach.
Zucchini and Spinach Spanakopita - Finely dice 1 medium zucchini and sauté with spinach.
- › May 2013 Chat Thread 4 seconds ago
- › Birth classes 36 seconds ago
- › Advice for mom of highly gifted toddler 2 minutes ago
- › I am only five days past my due date. I would really like to... 3 minutes ago
- › What are you doing for Iron? 4 minutes ago
- › How many TOTAL months have you breastfed? 6 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 8 minutes ago
- › What are you craving? 9 minutes ago
- › And I'm back...preparing to TTC 9 minutes ago
- › Due Date List 10 minutes ago
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by Cathlin
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo