$5 Meal Ideas
Edited on 12/18/12
- QuinoaEdited on 7/23/12
- Pan-fried Tofu and Collards with Cashew Ginger DrizzleEdited on 4/19/12
- Cilantro Crusted ChickenEdited on 8/15/12
- Bloomin' Tuesday: Integrating Raw, & Sesame Noodles RecipeEdited on 2/25/13 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
By Cathe Olson
This delicious Greek pie will give you your daily dose of greens and more. It is very easy to make so you may want to make an extra to freeze. The Fillo Factory makes organic, vegan phyllo dough with no hydrogenated oils. It comes in unbleached white flour, spelt and whole wheat varieties and is available at many natural foods stores and supermarkets.
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh spinach, washed and chopped (about 10 cups)
2 eggs 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
Black pepper to taste
8 sheets phyllo dough, preferably whole grain
Olive oil for brushing dough
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Warm oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and saut? 2 minutes, or until soft. Add spinach to pan. (It looks like a lot of spinach but just pack it in. It will cook down.) Cover pan and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Transfer to a colander and let it drain.
In bowl, beat eggs and dill. Stir in cheese and spinach. Season with black pepper. You can add sea salt but the salt from the feta is usually enough for me.
Set up your work station. Unwrap phyllo dough and cover it with a damp towel. Pour some olive oil into a bowl and get a pastry brush. Lightly brush a 10-inch pie or tart pan with olive oil. Place a sheet of phyllo in pan. Brush lightly with oil. Place a second sheet over the first but position it so the corners don't match up. Brush with oil. Repeat until you have four layers of phyllo. Spread the spinach filling evenly in pan. Turn the corners of the phyllo dough over filling. Layer 4 more sheets of phyllo over filling, brushing each piece with oil as before. Tuck corners under pie. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings
Kale and Spinach Spanakopita - Substitute kale for up to 1/2 of the spinach.
Zucchini and Spinach Spanakopita - Finely dice 1 medium zucchini and sauté with spinach.
- › Did anyone not have gestational diabetes during a previous... 1 minute ago
- › Playgroups in RI/MA???? Desperate 3 minutes ago
- › At what age does socialization become really important? 3 minutes ago
- › Gardening! 4 minutes ago
- › Anybody here planning a homebirth? 4 minutes ago
- › Lost 5 y/o 5 minutes ago
- › Look how cute the May 2013 DDC babies are! 6 minutes ago
- › homebirth midwife in Akron/Canton, OH area? 6 minutes ago
- › What would you do if you saw kids left in a car? 10 minutes ago
- › Poolside Safety 12 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo