7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom
Edited on 5/28/13
- $5 Meal IdeasEdited on 12/18/12
- Mothering's Holiday Food GuideEdited on 12/12/12
- QuinoaEdited on 7/23/12
- Pan-fried Tofu and Collards with Cashew Ginger DrizzleEdited on 4/19/12 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
By Cathe Olson
This delicious Greek pie will give you your daily dose of greens and more. It is very easy to make so you may want to make an extra to freeze. The Fillo Factory makes organic, vegan phyllo dough with no hydrogenated oils. It comes in unbleached white flour, spelt and whole wheat varieties and is available at many natural foods stores and supermarkets.
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh spinach, washed and chopped (about 10 cups)
2 eggs 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
Black pepper to taste
8 sheets phyllo dough, preferably whole grain
Olive oil for brushing dough
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Warm oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and saut? 2 minutes, or until soft. Add spinach to pan. (It looks like a lot of spinach but just pack it in. It will cook down.) Cover pan and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Transfer to a colander and let it drain.
In bowl, beat eggs and dill. Stir in cheese and spinach. Season with black pepper. You can add sea salt but the salt from the feta is usually enough for me.
Set up your work station. Unwrap phyllo dough and cover it with a damp towel. Pour some olive oil into a bowl and get a pastry brush. Lightly brush a 10-inch pie or tart pan with olive oil. Place a sheet of phyllo in pan. Brush lightly with oil. Place a second sheet over the first but position it so the corners don't match up. Brush with oil. Repeat until you have four layers of phyllo. Spread the spinach filling evenly in pan. Turn the corners of the phyllo dough over filling. Layer 4 more sheets of phyllo over filling, brushing each piece with oil as before. Tuck corners under pie. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings
Kale and Spinach Spanakopita - Substitute kale for up to 1/2 of the spinach.
Zucchini and Spinach Spanakopita - Finely dice 1 medium zucchini and sauté with spinach.
- $5 Meal Ideas
- › Need advice on dd with a lump in vagina 51 seconds ago
- › Pediatrician concerned about potential THC levels from drinking... 1 minute ago
- › Homebirth midwife in Philadelphia--Kathy Hindle 2 minutes ago
- › June chat thread 2 minutes ago
- › Placenta Encapsulation 3 minutes ago
- › Tetanus in News, where are the facts? 4 minutes ago
- › GBS 7 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC-Flower Moon 10 minutes ago
- › spotting 11 minutes ago
- › February 2014, anyone? 11 minutes ago
- › Earth Mama Body Butter - 8oz by fayebond
- › Maclaren Beginning Travel Kit for Mother by fayebond
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by lightbulb
- › Bug Band Insect Repellent Wristbands - Blue by fayebond
- › Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray by fayebond
- › Do Naturals Just Berry Shampoo and Conditioner by fayebond
- › Zoe organics Baby Bath Tea by fayebond
- › Calming Blend Shampoo & Bodywash 17oz by fayebond
- › zoe organics Gentle Hair & Body Wash by fayebond
- › Lafe's Organic Foaming Baby Shampoo and Wash, 12 oz by fayebond
- › Homeopathic Help for Post-Partum Mothers: a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Adding the Second Child by Sarah Clark
- › 5 Steps for Managing Stress and Anxiety by Melanie Mayo
- › What Marketers Don't Understand About... by Melanie Mayo
- › For the Dads by Rachel Wolf
- › What Happened When This Bereaved Mom Sought A... by momofnatasha
- › More About Soothing Small Tummies from... by Melanie Mayo
- › Get Ready To Read By Playing by Melanie Mayo
- › "Do You Trust Me?" by SantoshaMama
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering Bath and... by Cynthia Mosher