Thank you to Mothering member MrsGail for contributing this recipe. Find more recipes here.
This recipe is so easy and versatile. I can whip up a batch in 10 minutes easy, and shower while they bake. Everywhere I bring them, people want the recipe. They also freeze well, and last well (and stay moist) when in a covered container. I added both grated apples and blueberries to the batch I have right now.
- 1 c. wheat bran
- 1/2 c, oat bran
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c buttermilk (I typically put 1 T white vinegar in a glass measuring cup, and fill it the rest of the way with milk and heat it for a few seconds until it gets thick--its cheaper)
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup applesauce (or veg oil)
- 1/2 c. brown sugar (also delicious with honey instead)
- 1/2 t. vanilla
Your choice of fruits & veggies. My favorites to add are:
- 1 large granny smith apple grated
- 2 large carrots grated
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash, grated
- 1 c. blueberries
- mashed banana
- raisins (I would add another fruit/vegetable to make them more moist)
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix brans and buttermilk. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Beat applesauce, sugar & vanilla. Add to bran mixture.
- Sift together flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Add to buttermilk mixture.
- Grate desired fruit/veggie
- Mix together until just blended.
- Grease muffin tin, or add muffin liners
- Spoon approx. 1/3 c. batter into each muffin liner
- Bake 15-20 minutes