Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Today at 8:18 am in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on Yesterday at 5:36 pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Week 13: Pregnancy Week by Week
Week 13: Common concerns in the second trimester and the pregnancy food groups
The body has its own way of knowing, a knowing that has little to do with logic, and much to do with truth, little to do with control, and much to do with acceptance...
What's Happening in Your Body?
You may begin to notice an increase in your appetite. For most women, nausea is beginning to subside, although food cravings may increase and continue for some time.
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Due to muscle development, movement has increased and your baby is now capable of kicking vigorously. Women experiencing a second pregnancy may begin to notice faint signs of movement. If this is your first pregnancy, you probably won't discern the baby's activity for a few more weeks.
The second trimester brings new physical changes as well as emotional ones. These are usually less dramatic than the symptoms of the first trimester. Some women will still feel remnants of early symptoms, such as morning sickness or fatigue. Generally speaking, though, the second trimester tends to be the most energetic part of pregnancy. Follow the link for more details about Second Trimester Common Concerns.
Check out this Food Guide, which we have modified from the United States Department of Agriculture Food Guide Pyramid to suit the needs of pregnant women. This guide takes some of the more recent research about nutrition into account.
Here is a Pilates exercise that can help to strengthen your outer and inner thigh muscles:
Lie on the floor, on your side, on a comfortable mat or carpeted surface. Align your hips and legs so that they are directly one on top of the other. You can rest your head on top of your outstretched lower arm, or bend the arm and cup your head in your hand. Use your top arm to lightly support yourself in front of your body - but try not to rely too much on it. Stabilizing yourself from your core is part of what make Pilates effective.
Now begin to slowly raise your top leg until it is somewhere between 90 and 45 degrees in the air. Slowly lower it back to the lower leg. Imagine, as you continue this movement, that you are moving your leg through very thick mud and that it is extremely difficult to raise and lower it. Do not allow your hips to shift from side to side as you move. Repeat several times, then roll over to the other side and repeat.
The Language of Flowers
In the 1930s, British homeopath and medical doctor, Edward Bach, began to treat the mental and emotional symptoms of his patients with the essences he derived from flowers. The use of flowers in healing has numerous historical precedents, but Bach was the first modern physician to use them. He developed a repertory of 38 remedies from native or naturalized plants in rural England. Find out more about one of our favorites: Rescue Remedy.
This simple visualization exercise helps to replace negative images about weight gain with positive ones. Using it can help transform deeply ingrained cultural beliefs about being thin into a healthier set of expectations that work for pregnancy.
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › Uterine Polyps 1 minute ago
- › Who is packing? 2 minutes ago
- › Maternity photos!! 5 minutes ago
- › Looking for.... 7 minutes ago
- › Pregnant and extremely nervous 9 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 9.0 (enrolling through... 11 minutes ago
- › Do things have to be even between siblings? 13 minutes ago
- › Possible move to Seattle... 17 minutes ago
- › Chapter Books with Diverse Characters for 7 year old 21 minutes ago
- › vaccine research 25 minutes ago
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Glamourmom Nursing Bra Tank by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo