Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Today at 9:23 am in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on 5/17/13 at 11:53pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Week 16: Pregnancy Week by Week
Week 16: Dealing with powerful emotions
Everything becomes possible by the mere presence of someone who knows how to listen, to live and to give of himself.
What's Happening in Your Body?
You may begin to notice a dark line, called the linea nigra, in between your belly button and the pubic region. This normal pigment change will fade after the baby's birth.
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Your baby is beginning to make breathing motions and can turn her head. She is also beginning to make facial expressions such as squinting, frowning, and even smiling. The baby drinks the amniotic fluid and begins to pass urine. She weighs about 3-4 ounces. If you are having a boy, it may be possible to detect the baby's penis in an ultrasound examination.
Dealing with Powerful Emotions
First you may feel like you can conquer the world, handle all your relationships with ease, or hike the entire Appalachian Trail. Then you may feel like a wet, wrung-out dishrag: large, incompetent, and vulnerable. While you might normally be easygoing, reading the evening news may now make you weep uncontrollably, and a stolen parking space might cause an outburst of rage. Learn how to Deal with Powerful Emotions.
Sometimes you must indulge. Try our recipe for Truly Citrony Lemon Bars and treat yourself.
You may not exactly feel like a ballerina right now, but doing a few grand plies can nonetheless strengthen and tone your upper thigh and buttock muscles.
Stand with your feet about three feet apart, hands on your hips. Turn both legs out so that your toes are pointing out at a forty-five degree angle or a bit more. Try to rotate the entire leg, starting from the hip joint and not just the feet.
Now bend deeply at the knees, tracking the knees directly over the feet. It is important not to allow your bottom to stick out behind you, the way you would if you were doing a squat. Keep your back straight and don't bend forward. Think of your entire trunk going up and down, perpendicular to the floor.
Continue to bend slowly up and down about 10 times. You can increase this amount over time. You can also experiment with finding the place in the bend where you feel your muscles working the hardest and holding that position for 10 seconds. If you prefer, you can hold onto the back of a stable chair for added support while doing plies.
Indigestion can be a daily issue for many pregnant women. To soothe heartburn and stomach acidity, try drinking herbal tea, especially after a meal. Chamomile, lemon balm, meadowsweet or peppermint teas are all good choices. Argent Nit is a homeopathic treatment that can help with heartburn and gas. Another homeopathic treatment to try is Nux Vomica, which is also useful for any nausea you may feel as well as with indigestion.
Using Pregnancy Affirmations
An affirmation is a positive thought that you consciously introduce into your thinking. You do this so that your thoughts will support you and not undermine your confidence. Visit this link for affirmations to write down and read or say aloud. You can make audiotapes of the affirmations you like or make up your own affirmations to listen to as well. Notice that the affirmations progress from pregnancy to birth.
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › The Belly Thread! 14 seconds ago
- › To start vaccinating 2 year old, or not... 51 seconds ago
- › Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition 1 minute ago
- › Does breastfeeding make travel easier? 2 minutes ago
- › Relocating to So Cal, need suggestions on place to live commutable... 3 minutes ago
- › May TWW Thread 6 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 9 minutes ago
- › Why can't CPMs legally perform homebirths in IL ? 13 minutes ago
- › What would You do? 15 minutes ago
- › The TTC One Thread - May Flowers and BFP's 22 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11