Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Today at 7:35 am in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on 5/17/13 at 11:53pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Week 23: Pregnancy Week by Week
Week 23: How to prepare for breastfeeding
Increasing both the rates of breastfeeding initiation and duration is a national health objective.
-Ruth Lawrence, MD, Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk
What's Happening in Your Body?
The skin on your belly may itch as it stretches. Some women notice that their belly buttons pop out around this time. It will stay that way until the baby is born.
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Your baby's fingernails are almost fully formed. By now the heartbeat can be detected with a stethoscope.
Preparing for Breastfeeding
Experts today are unanimous in their support of breastfeeding as the hands-down best way to feed a human infant. In 1998, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) released a landmark statement that babies should be fed breastmilk exclusively until the age of six months and continue to breastfeed, after the introduction of solid foods, until age one and beyond. Find out how to prepare for breastfeeding your new baby.
In last week's issue we talked about the importance of omega-3 essential fatty acids in the pregnancy diet. This nutrient is important to the development of your baby's brain. For vegetarians, getting enough omega-3 in the diet can be a challenge. Flax seeds provide lots of this essential fatty acid. Bake some Banana Flax Cookies, and give yourself a very healthy treat.
When you see photos of indigenous women, they are often squatting to cook a meal or to grind grain. As modern women, we're not as used to squatting, but it increases the mobility of the pelvic joints and strengthens the muscles of the inner thighs and Achilles tendons. Squatting is also a great position in which to give birth, but it can be uncomfortable unless you get some practice Learning to Squat ahead of time.
Rescue Remedy is a compilation of several of the Bach Flower Remedies-a gentle plant-based liquid available in most health food stores. All-purpose Rescue Remedy can be used, as its name implies, in all kinds of situations. Keep some Rescue Remedy in your purse to use after a challenging appointment, when the day falls apart on you, or any time you feel off balance. You can also give Rescue Remedy to your child in similar situations.
Put three drops of Rescue Remedy in a six-ounce glass of water and sip slowly. You can also place the drops directly on your tongue, but the taste may be too strong for a child.
This baby moves inside me now
Sending messages at night-
About life on the inside:
It is dark
But warm and quiet
With only muffled echoes softly pleading,
Wake up, little one.
I want to know you're in there,
Happy and safe.
Answers come again-
A sudden flutter-
Secret lyrics of song with no rhythm.
Played with hands and feet.
Someday I will hear the song again-
A high-pitched, quick and breathy humming.
I will teach her that she's been singing that old song forever,
And reach out for little splayed hands
That have long since held my heart.
By Yvette Benavides
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › Roster September 2013 58 seconds ago
- › Unusual baby names 1 minute ago
- › Breastfeeding after Reduction 4 minutes ago
- › Anyone near Morrisville/ Stowe, VT 5 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 8 minutes ago
- › Dark haired ladies, I need your advice 9 minutes ago
- › Look how cute the May 2013 DDC babies are! 12 minutes ago
- › Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen? 12 minutes ago
- › How do you cope with screaming and crying, especially when you're... 13 minutes ago
- › Fevers: Is it normal for my dd to get fevers within 3 weeks of each... 14 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by SmilinMomma
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11