Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Today at 10:01 am in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on 5/17/13 at 11:53pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Week 24: Pregnancy Week by Week
Week 24: Getting ready for baby's arrival
Please think of the children first. If you ever have anything to do with their entertainment, their food, their toys, their custody, their child care, their health care, their education-listen to the children, learn about them, learn from them. Think of the children first.
-Fred Rogers, Mr. Rogers Talks to Parents
What's Happening in Your Body?
A surge of feelings of good health, good appetite, and good spirits often marks this phase of pregnancy. Take advantage of this energy to gather together items you'll need for the baby. In the next few weeks, you will continue to steadily gain weight and moving around may be more of a chore!
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Your baby now has distinct periods of sleeping and wakefulness. His eyes, which have been shut since early pregnancy, now open and close accordingly.
Getting Ready for the Baby
Many women report a strong urge to get ready for the baby as they approach the third trimester. This is the ideal time to think about what you will need to acquire (to buy, borrow, or ask for as gifts).
We talked about the importance of omega-3 essential fatty acids to general health in the early weeks. It's worth revisiting now because omega-3 is particularly important for pregnant women in the third trimester, and for women who are breastfeeding. These are both times when the baby's brain is developing at amazing rates. Babies deficient in omega-3 may have a greater risk of autism, attention deficit disorder, and depression, or adult degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's or Lou Gehrig's disease.
To find out how to incorporate omega-3 into your diet, follow this link.
If you are beginning to gather things for the baby, think twice before investing a lot of money in items such as baby swings, bouncy infant seats, or costly newborn strollers. Instead, purchase one or two types of baby carriers that can keep your baby amused, soothed, and help you get back into shape.
Your beautiful belly: To help prevent stretch marks and enhance the natural resilience of your skin, add essential oils to your skin-care preparations and massage yourself regularly. Lavender and neroli are particularly helpful in preventing stretch marks. Find out how to make a homemade belly butter that can also soothe the skin all over your body.
Birth Story: Three in a Bed
By Deborah Jackson
My bed feels somewhat empty now. I lie scrunched up in one corner, like a kitten in an oversized basket, and I wonder how it came to this. My husband, Paul, is away again, working on the other side of the country, and my children are downstairs, asleep. There's Frances, 12, sprawled easily across her loft bed (she's going to need a bigger bed soon). Sharing her room is Alice, buried invisibly under the covers-she's still small for her nine years. Then there's Joseph, lying in his very own bedroom, his five-year-old limbs and mouth open to the world in a gesture of absolute surrender. Read more…
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › Sudbury and sensory processing disorder 14 seconds ago
- › Hsg 56 seconds ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 1 minute ago
- › Impact of DSM - 5 Criteria for ASD 2 minutes ago
- › Stressed about my new FET protocol and can use a little support and... 4 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 4 minutes ago
- › Breech Babies Turn! 4 minutes ago
- › Birth Stories 4 minutes ago
- › Help with discipline? 9 minutes ago
- › 40 week roll call! 9 minutes ago
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by Cathlin
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo