Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Yesterday at 7:16 am in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on Yesterday at 2:15 pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Week 24: Pregnancy Week by Week
Week 24: Getting ready for baby's arrival
Please think of the children first. If you ever have anything to do with their entertainment, their food, their toys, their custody, their child care, their health care, their education-listen to the children, learn about them, learn from them. Think of the children first.
-Fred Rogers, Mr. Rogers Talks to Parents
What's Happening in Your Body?
A surge of feelings of good health, good appetite, and good spirits often marks this phase of pregnancy. Take advantage of this energy to gather together items you'll need for the baby. In the next few weeks, you will continue to steadily gain weight and moving around may be more of a chore!
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Your baby now has distinct periods of sleeping and wakefulness. His eyes, which have been shut since early pregnancy, now open and close accordingly.
Getting Ready for the Baby
Many women report a strong urge to get ready for the baby as they approach the third trimester. This is the ideal time to think about what you will need to acquire (to buy, borrow, or ask for as gifts).
We talked about the importance of omega-3 essential fatty acids to general health in the early weeks. It's worth revisiting now because omega-3 is particularly important for pregnant women in the third trimester, and for women who are breastfeeding. These are both times when the baby's brain is developing at amazing rates. Babies deficient in omega-3 may have a greater risk of autism, attention deficit disorder, and depression, or adult degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's or Lou Gehrig's disease.
To find out how to incorporate omega-3 into your diet, follow this link.
If you are beginning to gather things for the baby, think twice before investing a lot of money in items such as baby swings, bouncy infant seats, or costly newborn strollers. Instead, purchase one or two types of baby carriers that can keep your baby amused, soothed, and help you get back into shape.
Your beautiful belly: To help prevent stretch marks and enhance the natural resilience of your skin, add essential oils to your skin-care preparations and massage yourself regularly. Lavender and neroli are particularly helpful in preventing stretch marks. Find out how to make a homemade belly butter that can also soothe the skin all over your body.
Birth Story: Three in a Bed
By Deborah Jackson
My bed feels somewhat empty now. I lie scrunched up in one corner, like a kitten in an oversized basket, and I wonder how it came to this. My husband, Paul, is away again, working on the other side of the country, and my children are downstairs, asleep. There's Frances, 12, sprawled easily across her loft bed (she's going to need a bigger bed soon). Sharing her room is Alice, buried invisibly under the covers-she's still small for her nine years. Then there's Joseph, lying in his very own bedroom, his five-year-old limbs and mouth open to the world in a gesture of absolute surrender. Read more…
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › Introductions! 3 minutes ago
- › My 3 year old is freaking me out 9 minutes ago
- › 40 week roll call! 16 minutes ago
- › Overweight and Overwhelmed 19 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April & May 2013! 31 minutes ago
- › Roll Call! 35 minutes ago
- › Previous births, plans for this birth? 39 minutes ago
- › How am I unqualified?? 45 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 46 minutes ago
- › When do you tell family and older siblings? 50 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Why We Homeschool by Sheryl Paul
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf