Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Today at 7:16 am in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on Today at 2:15 pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Week 33: Pregnancy Week by Week
Week 33: Reviewing Your Birth Choices
What makes a good birth experience [depends on] how we discover that energy and enthusiasm that carry us through any challenging situation in life.
-Suzanne Arms, Immaculate Deception
What's Happening in Your Body?
You may be able to feel the baby's limbs by pressing gently on your abdomen. Some women can tell where the baby's head is this way, or even identify a little foot or a knee!
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Your baby's liver is beginning to create stores of iron. Her lungs, digestive, and heat control systems have not yet fully matured.
Reviewing Your Birth Choices
You've already spent a great deal of time making decisions about your pregnancy and upcoming delivery. You have chosen a health care provider and a childbirth education class, and decided whether or not you're opting for a doula. You have made decisions about what foods to eat and where to give birth.
The fabric of our lives changes constantly, however, and many women find themselves questioning some of these decisions later in their pregnancies. Take some time to review the decisions you've made up until now.
Ask your partner to treat you to a breakfast in bed. Have some Sesame French Toast with maple syrup or fresh fruit and a Fresh Fig Orange Smoothie. How about a soothing foot massage for dessert? You deserve it.
Roll, roll, roll your neck! In late pregnancy, tension can settle in your neck. To relieve neck pain, stand or sit comfortably. Let your arms hang easily at your sides. Relax your shoulders and imagine that a string holds up your head.
Begin by lowering your head slightly to the front and bend forward from the neck until you feel a stretch. Slowly move your head to the left in a circle. Breathe slowly as you roll your head. Slowly roll your head to the back with control. Do not drop your head back completely. Continue all the way around until you come back to the front. Repeat on the right side. Roll your neck each way three times.
For relief from swollen ankles, massage the legs and thighs in an upwards-sweeping movement, with a one percent dilution of essential oils mixed into grapeseed or jojoba oil. A few oils to try are geranium, lemon and rosemary (use rosemary only after the fifth month).
Dandelion tea is a natural diuretic (The French word "pissenlit" means "wet the bed"), and has the additional benefit of being high in potassium.
Although mild fluid retention is common in pregnancy, it's a good idea to check with your care practitioner if this is an ongoing problem, or if it becomes acute.
As pregnancy draws to an end, you will be full of thoughts-this is a great time to take stock. Find a time and place where you will be able to relax and let your mind travel freely.
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › Nursing Mamas TTC May 27 seconds ago
- › Win a Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow!! 1 minute ago
- › ~*~October ddc Belly Thread~*~ 1 minute ago
- › the bf thread 3 minutes ago
- › When can you offer a child you hardly know a ride home? 5 minutes ago
- › weekly thread May 20-26 8 minutes ago
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 9 minutes ago
- › Symptomatic Group B Strep Vaginitis HELP!! 12 minutes ago
- › Hello Everyone 14 minutes ago
- › Lady threatened to call police on me for babywearing! 15 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo