Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Today at 7:16 am in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on Today at 2:15 pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Week 37: Pregnancy Week by Week
Week 37: The First Stage of Labor
Except for being hung up by the feet, the supine position is the worst conceivable position for labor and delivery.
-Roberto Caldeyro-Barcia, MD
What's Happening in Your Body?
You may experience some swelling in your ankles at the end of pregnancy due to the increased pressure within your abdomen, the decreased blood return from your legs and feet, and the effect of the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the walls of the blood vessels. Around this time your cervix may begin to soften in preparation for your baby's birth.
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Your baby is now about 18 inches long and 5 to 7 pounds. She may be gaining as much as an ounce per day at this point. Her hands are about 2 inches long. She is now almost fully mature and at any time may drop into your pelvis in preparation for birth.
The First Stage of Labor
Once you are having regular contractions, you are considered to be in true (or active) labor. The duration and distance between contractions will differ from labor to labor, but they may be around 5 minutes apart or less. You cervix will, at this point, probably be dilated to about 3 or 4 centimeters. You are entering the First Stage of Labor.
Miso is a particularly hearty food for new mothers. This high-protein food typically combines soybeans, cultured grain, and sea salt, using a unique fermentation process. In Japan, the process has been elevated to a fine craft, much like winemaking. Find out more about the amazing benefits of miso, and learn how to make it yourself.
The Side Twist is a simple yoga posture that you can do after the baby is born. It strengthens the buttocks, which relieves lower back tension and also stretches the front of the thighs.
In early labor, make Forest Brew to help relieve anxiety, tension, and pain. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a teapot or sturdy pitcher. Add to the water 2 teaspoons dried or 4 teaspoons fresh wood betony, rose petals, and raspberry leaves. Steep for 10 minutes or more.
Let cool and sip with ice during labor and/or make ice out of it and suck on the ice chips.
I was dreaming. I was speaking with a man whose wife had just had a baby. He showed me a box high up on a shelf. As he pointed to the box he said, "That's a contraction." I replied, "Really? Let me look at it." I reached way up to take the box from the shelf and I felt the contraction. "So that's a contraction," I replied in the dream. And when I woke up, I was indeed in labor. Follow this link to read the full story, Opening, by Linda Epstein.
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › Weekly Chat --May 20-26 2 minutes ago
- › Win a Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow!! 3 minutes ago
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 5 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 6 minutes ago
- › So depressed, hormonal, emotional 8 minutes ago
- › High fertility BEFORE ovulation? 15 minutes ago
- › Wanting to start using cloth wipes 23 minutes ago
- › Life of Fred - Question about starting as a 4th grader. 23 minutes ago
- › I need insight about my teen's sexuality 24 minutes ago
- › Anyone else have a kid with RAD? 25 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Why We Homeschool by Sheryl Paul
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf