Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Today at 12:46 pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on 5/17/13 at 11:53pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Week 8: Pregnancy Week by Week
Week 8: How to choose a place for your baby's birth
Human beings are mammals. All mammals hide themselves, isolate themselves to give birth. They need privacy. It is the same for humans. We should always be aware of this need for privacy.
-Michel Odent, M.D., Birth Reform
What's Happening in Your Body?
You may begin to notice some weight gain. Although your uterus may not have visibly expanded as of yet, many women notice a thickening around their waistlines.
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Your baby is more than 1/2 an inch long. This week webbed fingers and toes develop while the ears and the tip of the nose also become more recognizable.
Choosing A Place for Your Baby's Birth
Why choose the birth setting before even deciding if you want to have a midwife or a doctor? Studies have shown that a feeling of comfort and safety in your surroundings might be the biggest contribution to a smooth labor - and the best way to reduce the need for medical intervention.
Increasing consumption of vitamin B6 can help some women reduce problems with morning sickness and nausea. B6-rich foods include blackstrap molasses, wheat germ, yeast, wheat bran, bananas, avocados, dried beans, eggs, and meat. Try adding .5 to 2 milligrams of it to your daily diet. You can get about half a milligram by eating one banana, one slice of watermelon, a serving of salmon, or a large baked potato.
Both the spinach and eggs in our Breakfast Spinach Quiche are excellent sources of vitamin B6 and protein, and will help you get your day off to a good start.
The Corpse Pose can be used at any time of your pregnancy when you need to relax (remember it in the third trimester when you may want to avoid more active poses). It can also be done before bed to prepare for sleep.
Making big decisions about pregnancy, such as choosing a place of birth, can be stressful. Rose essential oil is not only soothing, but is also known to be a hormone regulator. Float several drops in a bowl of warm water and breathe in the aroma. Pausing for a cup of mineral-rich tea like raspberry leaf, nettles, or a specially blended pregnancy tea can also be a good way to calm mild anxiety.
An important way to care for yourself during early pregnancy is to get to know other women who are pregnant. These kinds of connections are empowering; who better to share stories, concerns, questions and empathy with than someone who is on a similar physical and emotional journey?
Mothering.com offers several resources for women to find these connections. Check out our Birth Stories section to read a diverse array of personal accounts of pregnancy and birth. Our Pregnancy Forum allows you to share everyday experiences with other pregnant women. You can also use Mothering.com's Finding Your Tribe feature to search for like-minded women who live in your area. If you enjoy writing, check out the online Mother's Writing Group.
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › Aug 2013 Roll Call 26 seconds ago
- › Exciting, Fun Preparations! 4 minutes ago
- › Official bead sign up thread. :) 5 minutes ago
- › Looking for a local midwife for home birth. 7 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April & May 2013! 7 minutes ago
- › Help! Nursing boundaries & nursing during pregnancy 8 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 8 minutes ago
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 9 minutes ago
- › Parent-Infant Classes 12 minutes ago
- › What to do for 3.5 year year old that just lost mom & almost lost... 15 minutes ago
- › My Brest Friend Travel Nursing Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by KaliShanti
- › Bebe Au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover - Poppy Hills by KaliShanti
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by KaliShanti
- › Udder Covers for Nursing Mothers - CARSON by kelseywhitney
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo