Related Forum Threads
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- How are you feeling? Last post on Today at 1:13 am in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Appointment Results/Updates Last post on Yesterday at 11:53 pm in September 2013 Due Date Club
- Welcome to the April 2013 Due Date Club! (Roster & Intros!) Last post on 3/27/13 at 6:42pm in April 2013 Due Date Club
- Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:25am in Queer Parenting
Week 5: Pregnancy Week by Week
Edited on 10/23/12
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 7: Pregnancy Week by WeekEdited on 10/23/12
- Week 8: Pregnancy Week by Week
Alphabetical Article List
Weeks 1 to 4: Pregnancy Week by Week
Weeks 1 to 4: Confirming pregnancy and establishing due date
Becoming a parent may happen on purpose or by accident, but however it comes about, parenting itself is a calling.
-Myla and Jon Kabat-Zinn, Mindful Parenting
What's Happening in Your Body?
Even though you've just discovered that you're pregnant, you're already noticing some changes. You may feel tired, perhaps your breasts are tender, or you find you are urinating more frequently. Some women feel a little crampiness as the embryo implants into the uterine wall.
What's Happening with Your Baby?
Your baby is a microscopic fertilized egg that is dividing again and again, forming into a ball of cells with separate layers that will grow into a baby. A yolk sac nourishes your baby until all the major organs have formed. Soon she will be about the size of a small pea and will weigh less than one ounce.
Confirming Pregnancy and Establishing Due Date
Some women will have guessed they are pregnant even before taking any tests. Others may have no symptoms at all. Every woman's experience is unique. How do you know for sure that you are pregnant? Read about how to confirming pregnancy. Once you have determined that you are indeed pregnant, one of the first things you will want to know is when the baby is due. Learn why the standard calculation used for establishing due date is not always the most accurate one.
This is a time for celebration! Break open a bottle of sparkling apple cider and have it with some Coconut Sweet Potato Pie. This creamy dessert is full of beta-carotene. The wheat-free crust provides omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. Share it with your family or your favorite friends while you revel in your good fortune.
It's important to get plenty of exercise while you are pregnant, and walking is a great way to do it. As you get used to the idea that you are carrying the seed of a new human being inside of you, a walk in nature is a great way to have some time to yourself. You are a crucial part of this grand scheme of life that is all around you.
Exercise is important, but so is rest. You may feel tired at times. That's because your body is working very hard right now. It's a good idea to listen to your body's cues as much as you can. Start out on the right track by turning rest time into a ritual. Spritz some rosewater or another favorite diluted essential oil on the sheets, light a beautiful soy or beeswax candle (unless you think you might fall asleep) and settle in with a good book. Make yourself a pot of caffeine-free tea. Allow this indulgence into your life.
As the baby, from seed to worldly entrance ripens
So does the mother's consciousness mature through revelations
of life's beginnings-
During this, their growing season.
Out of man and woman's union springs the fruit-
A child swelling 'neath a woman's belly,
And the Madonna-ripening fruit of womanhood.
Joining forces, father and mother weed out their fears, To clear the ground and prepare the way for the day of harvesting.
On that day, they reap as they sow, the fruits of their labor.
Image by Durga Yael Bernhard
- Week 6: Pregnancy Week by Week
- › 23 month old constantly nursing and driving me nuts.... help please! 7 minutes ago
- › Names, anyone? 7 minutes ago
- › Any BTDT advice for the first few weeks with newborn twins? 11 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 17 minutes ago
- › Baby names....anyone brainstorming? 20 minutes ago
- › Almost exclusively BF 15 month old newly constipated.... Change in... 24 minutes ago
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 33 minutes ago
- › Recurrent Corneal Erosion 37 minutes ago
- › Belly Pics 41 minutes ago
- › Weekly Chat - May 7 to May 13 52 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11